Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures!

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures!
I reread all the posts and noticed no one mentioned a small manual mill. I have purchased a Hudson Sawyer mill. Max size as purchased is 21 inch diameter and 9 ft length. Works pretty good I have to say. I have 12 logs 8 to 12 ft long and 12 to 20 inch diameter. But to test and learn my neighbor who cut a couple pine trees down volunteered them.
I missed this post last night. Your mill is similar to my Woodmizer as well as the Woodland Mills series, and a few other "budget" mills by various manufacturers. They all work on the same principle to achieve the same goal... a carriage running down the track, with an engine to spin the blade, turning logs into lumber.

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #382  
I have been milling lumber for my Garage / shop while clearing the land this summer. I only work the mornings as the afternoons are too hot for me. Having a good time at it though. I am really liking my Woodland Mills HM130 max.
I bought a laser and put it on the mill with a piece of white oak and some potent rare earth magnets but it still moves with the vibration. I will drill some holes and secure it with bolts in the near future.
My mill settled on one side over the winter mostly because the fill under it was fairly new. 20 minutes and a level put that right.
I also bought a new saw. I got a Husqvarna 450 rancher. It's a nice step up from my Echo CS 370. Handles any size tree I have with ease and not real heavy .

And last but not least !!! Hey Muhammad . Is there any chance that we could get a dedicated section for logging and milling here on TBN ? I think there are quite a few members with different types of mills . I know there are other sawmill forums but it would be nice to not have to go to another site to read and post about making lumber . Plus , a lot of us load logs with our tractors ;). Thanks for any consideration .
20230813_123939.jpg
20230819_140005.jpg
20230813_132439.jpg
20230729_112525.jpg

Attachments

• 20230729_112431.jpg
    20230729_112431.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 58
   / Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #383  
Quick question about about blade jumping. I had torqued the blade once by moving a log and not withdrawing the blade. Since then, no matter how I adjusted things, the blade would jump. I discovered yesterday, after hours of checking and adjusting of every part, that the follow belt was 'kinked'.In other words it wasn't perfectly round. Of course this never showed itself when hand turning. Everything tracked great. Only when I finally decided to give it a go and throttled up did the blade jump off again. It's then that I noticed, when removing the blade, that the belt had an issue. What I do not know is if that happened this last go-around or was it there prior. I guess the question is this. Is the belt deformity enough to make the blade jump off? I'm guessing it is. Regardless, I am ordering a new set of belts for a mill I've barely used. If this is not the issue what else do I need to look at?

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #385  
Change blades and see if that helps. What mill do you have? Does the blade have the correct tension? I don't understand what this follow belt does or location in relation to the mill. Pictures would be a big help.
hugs, Brandi

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #386  
Change blades and see if that helps. What mill do you have? Does the blade have the correct tension? I don't understand what this follow belt does or location in relation to the mill. Pictures would be a big help.
hugs, Brandi
Sorry. There is a drive side for the mill (HM130 MAX). I'm talking about the opposite side. See image below

1693237347248.png

As for blades I did change to a new one. Tensioned to 25lbs of torque. Still jumped.

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #387  
Oh.............okay. Swap the belt on the follow wheel to the drive wheel and the drive wheel belt to the follow wheel. I do that every so often. Like rotating your tires.
You will find that keeping spare belts around is a must if sawing for $$$. That may help, but the kinked belt should be replaced.
Some times when a blade comes off, it takes a cut into the belt. Look at them good if you swap them.
hugs, Brandi

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #388  
If it's throwing the belt it must not be tracking properly. Slack the idler wheel right off then realign it . If it's coming off on the drive wheel make sure the tensioner is aligned correctly.

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #389  
Oh.............okay. Swap the belt on the follow wheel to the drive wheel and the drive wheel belt to the follow wheel. I do that every so often. Like rotating your tires.
You will find that keeping spare belts around is a must if sawing for $$$. That may help, but the kinked belt should be replaced.
Some times when a blade comes off, it takes a cut into the belt. Look at them good if you swap them.
hugs, Brandi
They are not the same type of belt.

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #390  
If it's throwing the belt it must not be tracking properly. Slack the idler wheel right off then realign it . If it's coming off on the drive wheel make sure the tensioner is aligned correctly.
It's not throwing a belt but the blade