Saving A Ford 3910

/ Saving A Ford 3910
Took the injectors out today, and they all look really bad. Soaking them to try to clean up before I have them checked.
Just by looking at them I don't see how any fuel came through the nozzles, course under almost 3000 psi of pressure some
could get through, I suppose. I am almost certain this tractor did not run very good. Since I have a pig in a poke so to speak,
I am wondering what shape it will be in with new injectors and rebuilt pump.

/ Saving A Ford 3910 #12  
Took the injectors out today, and they all look really bad. Soaking them to try to clean up before I have them checked.
Just by looking at them I don't see how any fuel came through the nozzles, course under almost 3000 psi of pressure some
could get through, I suppose. I am almost certain this tractor did not run very good. Since I have a pig in a poke so to speak,
I am wondering what shape it will be in with new injectors and rebuilt pump.

With the injectors out a compression test is easy and the next logical step.

/ Saving A Ford 3910
I would like to know how the compression is in each cylinder, but with the pump off wouldn't I throw the timing off if I turned the engine over?

/ Saving A Ford 3910 #14  
The pump only goes on the gear one way. But having the gear attached to the pump would be more prudent than spinning the engine with the gear loose. There isn’t room under the timing cover for the gear to jump time but if it were to bind against the cover it could end badly. You could round up a tester and suitable adapter and run the test after mounting the pump.

/ Saving A Ford 3910
That sounds reasonable to mount the pump and check compression. Would it be a good idea to get a little fuel into the pump first, to keep from spinning it while it is dry? I do not want to damage the pump.

/ Saving A Ford 3910
Rick, looks like you have way more experience on these Ford diesel engines than I do. I have a question about mounting the pump,
I know the pump has a slot that is supposed to receive the dowel in the drive gear, and the pump base has slotted holes to attach the pump to the engine, and a mark that was set to "0". My question, Do I mount the pump loosely so I can align the gear to the pump to make sure it is not meshed too tight with the other timing gears before I tighten everything down?

Also do you know of a source to get the compression tester I need without all the other adapters that I will never use?

/ Saving A Ford 3910 #18  
Mount the pump to the gear finger tight. Mount the pump to the adapter plate aligning the index mark with the zero hash. Tighten the pump mount hardware then the hardware fixing the gear to the pump. The gears will be aligned. See if any local auto parts stores will rent/loan (with a deposit) a suitable tester. Some do that with automotive specialty tools, you might get lucky with a diesel test kit. Beyond that, I’d look at eBay or similar sources.

/ Saving A Ford 3910
Thanks for the advice on mounting the pump, and I will look around for the compression adapter I need for the Ford 3 cylinder diesel. I would just buy the set, but I know I will not need the adapters for cars and trucks.
I did notice that the transmission fluid was milky looking, so that means water is in it, probably from sitting outside a lot in the weather, that means new fluid and filter, and also engine oil and filter change. Well like I said I am trying to save this Ford 3910 from the salvage yard. Maybe I can figure out how to post a few pics soon.