Saving A Ford 3910

/ Saving A Ford 3910 #1  

PM Wells

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM 2402D - 1957 Farmall Cub - 1951 Farmall Cub - 1989 Ford 2810
About a month ago I traded for a Ford 3910 tractor that had stopped running. The young man that owned it said he was doing some light grading with a box blade and it just stopped running, and after he tinkered with it over about a month off and on, he decided it must be the injection pump. I don't think he had owned it very long. I decided to take a chance on it. So far I have found that the tractor had not been maintained very well over the years. I drained the old fuel and cleaned the tank, replaced the fuel filter, poured in about 5 gal of new fuel. I had fuel everywhere at the pump, but would not get to the injectors. After some discussion with others familiar with Ford diesel tractors, I decided to send the pump for rebuild. I am hoping to get the tractor running to see what overall condition it is in. Hoping for the best.

/ Saving A Ford 3910
I probably should have sent the injectors too, and may still have to have them checked. Since I was getting no fuel to the injectors, I thought I would get the pump rebuilt and go from there. The pump guy has told me that the metering valve was stuck. I have no idea what condition the engine is in, except it turns over good, and the tractor has no leaks that I can see, except a minor leak around the left rear hub. the pump had been leaking, other than that the tractor is dry, and looks to be in good original condition, with faded paint and surface rust on the hood. Oil in transmission looks milky, so it probably has water in it. Fuel looked a little cloudy, must have sat for a while.

/ Saving A Ford 3910 #4  
No more than it costs to test good injectors it is good practice to have them checked when pump work is done, especially when fixing a new-to-the-owner machine. Catching a functional injector with a poor pattern may save a piston and engine overhaul.

/ Saving A Ford 3910
Thanks for the advice, I certainly do not want an engine rebuild, that would put this tractor into the salvage category for sure.

/ Saving A Ford 3910 #7  
Shoulda sent it to me..
Having your pump looked at & not sending the injectors, is like taking a bath & putting on dirty sox..
Its dam near impossible for a running pump/engine to have a stuck MV.. {just so u know}
The MV is supposed to move back & forth.. & if its stuck,{something u coulda fixed} what do u think has happened to the injectors.??
1 more thing, then I'm done "yelling" at u.. Lol.. Once the pump gets to pumping & sends fuel to the injectors.. if the injectors or even just 1 is stuck closed, it'll seize the pump & your stuck w a 750.00 boat anchor or door stopper..{however much they charged u to o/h your pump}

/ Saving A Ford 3910
You know I think I may know you from a few years back, did you have a Ford 260C trencher tractor for sale? if so I thought about buying it. Now getting back to the injectors, it could very well be an injector problem, I could not get fuel up to the injectors before I took the pump off. I know little to nothing about this tractor, just feeling my way along at this point, I guess I like to take chances

/ Saving A Ford 3910 #9  
You know I think I may know you from a few years back, did you have a Ford 260C trencher tractor for sale? if so I thought about buying it. Now getting back to the injectors, it could very well be an injector problem, I could not get fuel up to the injectors before I took the pump off. I know little to nothing about this tractor, just feeling my way along at this point, I guess I like to take chances

Why don't you just take the injectors in for test/rebuild NOW!
BEFORE...... you put the pump back on!
That 3910 is a nice old tractor.
I would like to have one.

/ Saving A Ford 3910
Good advice, I have been checking on new injectors today. I noticed a lot of carbon buildup on the flap on top of the muffler, it makes me think the tractor was not running right. I watched a few videos on youtube that seems to point to the injectors as a possible problem also. Along with what thepumpguysc said, I am sure I will at least have the injectors checked before the pump is reinstalled or I try to crank. Thanks for all the good advice.