RTV ROPS - beware

/ RTV ROPS - beware #81  
From where the RTV started sliding to where it stopped was approximately 200' horizontally and a drop of 90' -24 degrees or 45% slope.

I was looking at it in more detail and the frame is cracked on both sides. Attached are pictures.

I am in no way trying to bash on the RTVs. I own five and I will be buying another to replace this one. I just always thought of a ROPS as a place to survive a nuclear blast. It surprised me how thin and weak it appears to be.

So offhand, something that freefalls 90’ would be going about 52 mph at the bottom. The roll probably ate some of that raw speed but also some of it went into other motions that could be just as bad. Just ballpark, this damage seems about what I’d expect for that much speed and associated energy. Nobody would expect much from that ROPS if it was the front bumper in a 52mph crash on the highway.

Based on what we saw here and the ROPS standards that were posted, I think the real and valuable lesson here is that these things are not nearly as indestructible as many of us thought, me included.

/ RTV ROPS - beware #82  
Good thread, OP.

I've always had doubts about the ROPS on my Wolverine X2, but figured Yamaha knew what they're doing. Thin tubing you can sense by tapping on it and confirm by looking into the factory holes that must be for mounting windshields and such. No cross-bracing or trapezoidal shape to keep it from deforming into a parallelogram from a good side load. Hope I never find out.

Attachments

• 11E658B9-F6E0-4BAD-8D1C-EB7683F19994.jpeg
    11E658B9-F6E0-4BAD-8D1C-EB7683F19994.jpeg
    632.9 KB · Views: 111
   / RTV ROPS - beware #83  
We rolled our 1120 today. Driver was not seriously hurt. He as thrown from vehicle which probably was best. The ROPS didn't fare too well. A buckled in passenger would be in bad shape.
Wow glad no one was hurt , I have a Polaris Ranger and now it has me wondering ! They do make a ROPS that bolts inside the bed so now wondering if it would be worth it or if it would just twist on the bed if rolled over . Can I ask if this was at a high speed ? Mine will only do 50 max on the open road and I usually always put the belt on if I plan on going more than 25 MPH .

/ RTV ROPS - beware #84  
Looks like a support frame for the canopy.. not ROPS.

/ RTV ROPS - beware #85  
I just checked my owners manual for a 2020 Polaris Ranger and they call it an ROPS but they also tell you to wear a helmet and other gear also , so wondering if they are all that weak .

/ RTV ROPS - beware #86  
That is a death sentence - always buckle up with any ROPS equipped vehicle.
From the Op”The driver got up and worked the rest of the day. If he would have been belted in I bet he would still be in the hospital or dead.”

As I said:

“Crazy to (THINK):
You may be safer without seat belt and being clear of (THAT) ROPS

So, no it isn’t a “death sentence,” it is taking a chance. I would take my chances of getting free from THAT ROPS, thank you

Last edited:
   / RTV ROPS - beware #87  
From the Op”The driver got up and worked the rest of the day. If he would have been belted in I bet he would still be in the hospital or dead.”

As I said:

“Crazy to (THINK):
You may be safer without seat belt and being clear of (THAT) ROPS

So, no it isn’t a “death sentence,” it is taking a chance. I would take my chances of getting free from THAT ROPS, thank you
I would rather be belted in and make the choice to unbuckle, then not be belted in. And yes, I've been in both scenarios.

/ RTV ROPS - beware #88  
They are nice. We have three RTV's with them. Cumulatively they have about 9,000 miles. We are very pleased. They are not cheap but are worth it if you are prone to flats / sidewall cuts and can't afford downtime.
I have them on My Ferris IS2200. Again, don't have to worry about flats, etc, and down time.

/ RTV ROPS - beware #90  
I have a 4010 Mule and you can tell the ROPS material is not very thick. As heavy as the 1140 is, one would assume(wrongly of course)that the ROPS to be made of thicker stuff.
Then everyone would be on here crying "my RTV is too heavy and now it's even slower." LOL