Rotating pickup tires

/ Rotating pickup tires #31  
All my tires are on their own rims. They are all 30x9.5x15 Pro-Comp Mud terrains on 8" rims. At almost $2,000.oo CDN after I retire I wont be able to afford tires. That is why I am doing things the way I am.

Why not use the tires until they are worn out and instead of buying tires 2-3 times more often than you need to invest that money into mutual funds or something and then buy tires with that money in retirement?

Tires do have a finite life even if stored inside. They will dry rot over time.

/ Rotating pickup tires #32  
I rotate the tires on my 4x4 every 6 months. Spare to right rear, right rear to right front and right front to spare. Left side is just front to back.

Interesting. Do you switch to the left in the nect rotation, Or will that Bugger up the direction of rotation pattern?

Your idea would increase the tread life of your tires by 25%, yes?

/ Rotating pickup tires #33  
Since we have winter and summer here, I rotate my tires during the switchover between summer and winter tires in the spring and in the fall.

Since mounting the tires off and on the rims puts a lot of stress on the tires, my winter tires are mounted on their own dedicated steel rims, so all I have to do is undo the lug nuts and switch the whole wheel assembly out.

In terms of longevity, I bought Michelin Latitude X-Ice tires, not only because they have amazing traction on ice, but also because they have a high treadwear rating. Thus, my winter tires are now on their third truck, and still going strong, with lots of tread left and no signs of cracking.

It is interesting that, although my truck's OEM tires have been getting larger in rim diameter, because of changes in profile the actual diameter of the tire has not increased over the years. So, I can still use my 17 inch winter tires even though the summer (All Season) tires that came with my latest (2014) truck are now 18 inch.

Last edited:
   / Rotating pickup tires #34  
I am already planning on working until I drop dead (69 now), but IF sometime in the future I can't work any more for whatever reasons then it would be nice to have a plan B and that is what the tires are for.

/ Rotating pickup tires #35  
I am already planning on working until I drop dead (69 now), but IF sometime in the future I can't work any more for whatever reasons then it would be nice to have a plan B and that is what the tires are for.

I think you should adjust your plans. 69 comes soon enough, some will say too soon. You might want to try to beat the average and die at 83 instead.

/ Rotating pickup tires #36  
I think you should adjust your plans. 69 comes soon enough, some will say too soon. You might want to try to beat the average and die at 83 instead.
Technally I am past 69 now, born in September 1946. My plan is to drop dead in the year 2045. That plan is called Freedom 99.:laughing:

/ Rotating pickup tires #37  
Why not use the tires until they are worn out and instead of buying tires 2-3 times more often than you need to invest that money into mutual funds or something and then buy tires with that money in retirement?

Tires do have a finite life even if stored inside. They will dry rot over time.

This is the best answer, IMO.

My truck's original tires were Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP and gave me 100,000 miles. I replaced them with identical new ones and got 110,000 miles. In both cases there was still a fair amount of tread left but the sidewalls were starting to crack and rot. The current set of tires has the same name but Uniroyal has since changed their tread/groove design and they are not the same as the old Tiger Paws. I'm hoping they last for the rest of my truck's life - currently 20 years old and 230,000 miles.