Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak
Winter is not a good time to be on the roof. Before I moved out here, I noticed a roof leak - in the winter... It seems these kind of problems always show up at the worst time/weather, doesn't it?

I paid to have the roof stripped, rotten wood replaced and a new roof put on. It hurt to write the check, but only for a little while. They did it in early spring.
Tell me about it. I was in the attic for another reason and saw the snow and now I have to worry about it for 2 months until it's safe to get on the roof. If the roofer guy that does this for a living won't get up there in the winter I'm certainly not going to do it.

Thing is, If it was not winter, I probably never would have noticed there was a problem.

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #42  
Tell me about it. I was in the attic for another reason and saw the snow and now I have to worry about it for 2 months until it's safe to get on the roof. If the roofer guy that does this for a living won't get up there in the winter I'm certainly not going to do it.

Thing is, If it was not winter, I probably never would have noticed there was a problem.
I'm curious what's going on with your roof that's preventing him from getting on the roof? I've never seen a 6/12 pitch metal roof where the snow would stay on. Even if you've got snow brakes on it the ridge should be clear after a couple days without snow. I was just on a clients roof a couple weeks ago repairing a damaged chimney boot. Maybe find a roofer that has ladder hooks.

I'm curious what's going on with your roof that's preventing him from getting on the roof? I've never seen a 6/12 pitch metal roof where the snow would stay on. Even if you've got snow brakes on it the ridge should be clear after a couple days without snow. I was just on a clients roof a couple weeks ago repairing a damaged chimney boot. Maybe find a roofer that has ladder hooks.
Maybe he just doesn't want to get up there in the cold to do the work. I know I wouldn't and can't blame him.

To fix it properly the closures needs to be replaced the full length on both sides. If part of it's going then other places are going. Looking from underneath I found several locations where the closure is letting the snow in.

The closure also has glue on it to make is stick, how well will it stick if it's cold? I want the work to last. What I've read the temps should be above 45F for installation. Average temps won't usually be above 45 till early April here.

To add to what I said above. This has likely been a problem for a while. I only noticed it because I happened to be in the attic when it was snowing an blowing and saw the snow. If I didn't I would not know and I probably would never have discovered it.

Another couple of months is not going to change much, but that does not stop me from worrying about it now that I know, no matter how much I tell myself that it will be fine.

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #45  
There are a couple of different types of roof caps. Perhaps too late for this installation, but good to research for any new installs.

This Cor-A-Vent appears to be fairly stable, and probably wouldn't have blown out. Demos on using it with standing seam, but apparently it will also work with the corrugated screw fastener roofing, as well as many other styles.

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #46  
The closure also has glue on it to make is stick, how well will it stick if it's cold?
That varies widely by the product, which is part of why I recommended the specific one that I did. I've installed that in below freezing temps. How much ridge do you need to fix? Is it just one straight run?

I went up in the attic yesterday and stuffed some insulation up into the ridge cap, will see if that helps till I can replace the closure.
Update on this. I went up into the attic yesterday while it was windy and snowing and this has temporarily stopped the snow from blowing in.

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #48  
You want to block the snow, rain, animals etc. from coming in.
Normal insulation (foam, fiberglass, etc.) would probably be too dense to allow air flow.
"Hog's hair" or "horse hair" (linky) may be better. It could stop most stuff (rain, snow, hail) and (if not edible) small rodents etc. Yet it should still let air flow thru.
1708266526402.png

Coincidentally I just received about 6 square feet of the stuff as packing material in shipping packages this last 2 months.

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #49  
Update on this. I went up into the attic yesterday while it was windy and snowing and this has temporarily stopped the snow from blowing in.
You'll want to keep a close eye on the situation. If the conditions are right, you have the potential to get more moisture from condensation than from the blown in snow.

You'll want to keep a close eye on the situation. If the conditions are right, you have the potential to get more moisture from condensation than from the blown in snow.
I only put insulation in the problem areas. I plan to keep an eye on it for moisture build up and replace as needed until I get the closures replaced.