Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #11  
i thought about that also, but then i wondered....what if it leaks out onto rook or expands and messes up the ridge,,,,so didnt say anything.

i still remember adding some spray foam under basement windows when i was building house. it expanded too much and wedged windows, and i had to scrape it all out.
can you say sucks

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #12  
Depending on how large the gaps are, just buy some of this foam backing rod and stuff it in. Comes in different thickness.

I use it around my sliding patio doors in the winter to seal off drafts; works great. I just push it in the frame, then pull it back out in the Spring

IMG_0209.png

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak
i thought about that also, but then i wondered....what if it leaks out onto rook or expands and messes up the ridge,,,,so didnt say anything.

i still remember adding some spray foam under basement windows when i was building house. it expanded too much and wedged windows, and i had to scrape it all out.
can you say sucks
Good point. If the screws are loose on the cap it could expand and push the cap off making matters worse.

Definitely need to come up with a temporary solution. Getting snow and high winds again today. Checked the attic this morning and snow is coming in. Thinking I might chance the spray foam.

but this stuff says it needs to be 60F to work, so might not work anyway.

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #15  
When I built the house, I purposely didn't install a ridge vent due to the rain / snow issue. It's very windy here and I had heard of too many problems.

The 15 year shingles I used, lasted 25 with no heat or condensation damage. When I had the roof replaced, I used 40 year shingles but the warranty required a vented ridge. The roofing contractor installed one and, sure enough, rain & snow started blowing in. It soaked the insulation and stained the drywall ceiling. I tried blocking the vent in a variety of ways but with little success.

Finally, I bought a few of these shallow plastic pans you put under washing machines.
Screenshot (70).png

I laid them on top of the insulation under the spots where the precipitation blows in. I know it sounds stupid but it's worked perfectly for over 10 years. The rain/snow collects in the pans and evaporates over time. There has never been an overflow in all that time.

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #16  
If you have an old chair or couch you don't want with foam cushions just cut strips and insert in between the two sections of roofing under the ridge. Or buy some upholstery foam and cut strips to fit between the two roof sections at the peak.

My barn has the metal roof and ridge where snow does come in too - I and I have a box full of those strips to seal but getting them in is a pain 12' up to the ridge - maybe someday!

talked to the guy that put on my roof. It is a vented ridge cap and he advised against the foam.

I will need to fix it from outside by replacing the closures sections, but I can't do that until spring. He thinks that stuffing some insulation in from underneath should be good until I can get on the roof.

I really don't know if this will work. I have tried stuffing things in crack of my shed and when the wind blows hard enough the snow/rain still blows through.

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #18  
I tried blocking the ridge vent with foam but it just absorbs the moisture and drips down through the vent. Same thing happens with fiberglass insulation. I suppose it depends on the design of the ridge vent.

My roofer also advised against doing it because it could void the roof warranty should something happen. Companies these days look for ways to avoid paying out on warranty claims.

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #19  
Weird, i have an asphalt roof with ridge vents. Never have had any issues. I check attic for damage alot over the years, never an inch of moisture.

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #20  
Weird, i have an asphalt roof with ridge vents. Never have had any issues. I check attic for damage alot over the years, never an inch of moisture.
I never have either, but we're relatively protected from wind. My roof is also quite steep which may help too.
can you say sucks
Yeah, I've done the same. Amazing how much that stuff expands. A little goes a long way.