3-Point Hitch rockshaft control on JD4200

/ rockshaft control on JD4200 #1  

simonds

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4200
I have a 1999 4200 cp. John Deere with hydrostatic trans. I bought it new with a backhoe, front loader and have been very satisfied with it. I have 1158 hrs. on it. I have never had any problem or repairs to do on it. But this summer I had my 5' John Deere brush hog attached and had a problem with the lift control or rock shaft.
When I raise or lower the control lever just a little bit it will raise all the way up or all the way down, there seems to be no stopping in between. It is very touchy. I play with it very slow and easy and can get it to stop at the desired height that I want, but this takes awhile. Do any of you have any ideas. Can it be adjusted or is something just worn out ? Thanks if anyone can help before I hire a serviceman to come and check it out.
Clayton

/ rockshaft control on JD4200 #2  
I had a similar problem with my 3203, found that my linkage under the cover had frozen and it sheared the rollpin

/ rockshaft control on JD4200
Swamp,
Thanks for the advise. I did notice there is a linkage to the rockshaft arms under the panel which is under the seat that has adjustment nuts on the back end of it. This seems to be quite loose. Also, when I pull the control lever all the way up the pump continues to run after the attachmet is up so then I have to ease the lever back down a ways to stop the pump from running. I just took off my backhoe last night and will be putting on my new wood splitter that I just bought yesterday. Now I can get in there and work on it easier, while there's no attachments in the way. I will check that out tonight.
Thanks again,
Clayton

/ rockshaft control on JD4200
I got time this morning before Thanksgiving dinner to work on my JD 4200.
I checked out the problem and it was the exact thing that Swamp had.
Got the old broken pin out, got some oil around the frozen shaft and kept prying and hammering it back and forth. It was really stuck hard. It still seemed to rotate quite hard, but I put it back together and It now works a lot better.
Thanks for the right advice,
Clayton

/ rockshaft control on JD4200 #5  
Ihave a 3203 john deere , the rockshaft lever is very stiff. The John Deere site said I need to adjust the rockshaft friction disk. Does anybody know how to adjust this?

/ rockshaft control on JD4200 #6  
:welcome: to the forum

Here is the friction nut #9 that you need to tighten. #11 are spring disks that make the friction to hold that lever in place. This is correct for the 3203

Attachments

• 3203_rockshaft.JPG
    3203_rockshaft.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,124
Last edited:
   / rockshaft control on JD4200 #7  
This sounds like what is going on with the tractor I am looking at. If I pull the cover, on the side can I get to the shafts that are stuck without disassembling the valve? it is a 4200
Thanks

/ rockshaft control on JD4200 #8  
See the locknut item #9 .. loosen that and see if you get freedom from binding.
Yours likely looks like my 4300, and the white arrow is pointing to that locknut.

Attachments

• 4300_rockshaft_control.jpg
    4300_rockshaft_control.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 790
   / rockshaft control on JD4200 #9  
thank you. I will try to loosen that nut. And then check the bottom shaft to see if it is stuck. I know the pin is broken

/ rockshaft control on JD4200 #10  
See the locknut item #9 .. loosen that and see if you get freedom from binding.
Yours likely looks like my 4300, and the white arrow is pointing to that locknut.
Where is the roll pin that is said to be broken in this photo if you happen to get the reply?