RK55HC - no glow plug indicator light?

/ RK55HC - no glow plug indicator light? #21  
I hope the RK are on a timer.. I like to listen to the radio, and the only position it gets power is the on position.

/ RK55HC - no glow plug indicator light?
I hope the RK are on a timer.. I like to listen to the radio, and the only position it gets power is the on position.

Agreed! I will listen carefully to mine the next time I’m in it to see if the plugs ever shut off when the key is turned to on.

/ RK55HC - no glow plug indicator light? #23  
On my 24, I turn the key to the left and release immediately, and if you notice on dash, the glow plug light will show. Once the glow plug lights goes out, I turn the key to the on position for a few seconds, and then turn the key to the start position.

My 24 is the same. On initial start in cold weather, I turn the key to the left and release immediately. The glow plug light illuminates for an extended period, maybe 10 seconds? I don't know if it varies based on the outside temp or block temp or some sensor it's checking, then the light goes out. At that time I try to start. If it doesn't start without a long crank I just repeat the "turn key to left and release...."

/ RK55HC - no glow plug indicator light? #24  
I live East of Cleveland, and haven't used mine to plow snow yet....kind of disappointed not to be able to use it, but grateful too....

/ RK55HC - no glow plug indicator light? #25  
Went out to plow snow a couple days ago, coldest start since I got the tractor. Turned to "on" position and waited on all of the lights to go out. Normally they all go out together, but this time the glow plug light stayed on for a good half second and then it too went out. Hit the starter, and started as good as it always does. I imagine "turn left for glow plugs" is merely an artifact of an older time.

/ RK55HC - no glow plug indicator light?
I imagine "turn left for glow plugs" is merely an artifact of an older time.

After reading both the RK24 and RK55 start procedures listed in the manuals, it's become clear that the glow plug functionality is different on these tractors (as verified by owners in this thread).

Per the manual, RK24 owners must turn the key left to activate the glow plugs:

(8) Always turn the ignition key to left for a moment and release it. The automatic heater will start working, which is indicated by a light on the instrument panel. As the lamp goes off, turn the key to the start position to start the engine.

RK55 owners can turn the key right to the ON position to activate the glow plugs (RK55 owners may also be able to turn the key left to activate the plugs, but it isn't necessary). Per the manual:

(8) Operator need to turn key to the “ON” position. The glow circuit automatically activates. Operator need to wait for glow light to turn off. As the lamp goes off turn the key to the start position to start the engine.

So, it's just a matter of the same switch being used on different tractors that have the glow plug circuit set up differently.

/ RK55HC - no glow plug indicator light? #27  
I live East of Cleveland, and haven't used mine to plow snow yet....kind of disappointed not to be able to use it, but grateful too....

Saturday should solve that problem for you. ;)

/ RK55HC - no glow plug indicator light? #28  
After reading both the RK24 and RK55 start procedures listed in the manuals, it's become clear that the glow plug functionality is different on these tractors (as verified by owners in this thread).

Per the manual, RK24 owners must turn the key left to activate the glow plugs:

(8) Always turn the ignition key to left for a moment and release it. The automatic heater will start working, which is indicated by a light on the instrument panel. As the lamp goes off, turn the key to the start position to start the engine.

RK55 owners can turn the key right to the ON position to activate the glow plugs (RK55 owners may also be able to turn the key left to activate the plugs, but it isn't necessary). Per the manual:

(8) Operator need to turn key to the “ON” position. The glow circuit automatically activates. Operator need to wait for glow light to turn off. As the lamp goes off turn the key to the start position to start the engine.

So, it's just a matter of the same switch being used on different tractors that have the glow plug circuit set up differently.

Great explanation! Thanks for clarification!

/ RK55HC - no glow plug indicator light? #29  
i would still like for RK TRACTOR GUY to chime in and explain what goes on when you turn the key to the left from the off position. i turn mine to the left, if its quiet around you, you can hear something running but it sounds like an electric fuel pump. if its real cold out, i turn my key to the left and hold it for about 15 sec. then turn it to the right and wait like 5 sec then start it up. i dont know if this is right or not but its what i do.

The automatic glow plug with key on should work by temp and be fine but in the case of the tractor not starting quickly or sputtering after initial start up you are suposed to use the left turn of the key to heat the glow plugs for a little longer period of time. This prevents wear on the starter and running your battery down. On older kubotas that did not turn off by the key switch if the engine has started but smoking and sputtering you simply turn the key to the left while it is still running to warm the glow plugs until it is running smoothly.

/ RK55HC - no glow plug indicator light? #30  
The automatic glow plug with key on should work by temp and be fine but in the case of the tractor not starting quickly or sputtering after initial start up you are suposed to use the left turn of the key to heat the glow plugs for a little longer period of time. This prevents wear on the starter and running your battery down. On older kubotas that did not turn off by the key switch if the engine has started but smoking and sputtering you simply turn the key to the left while it is still running to warm the glow plugs until it is running smoothly.

Just curious..? I like the idea of being able to use the glow plugs while the engine is running cold. But, how would you turn off the older Kubotas if the key switch didn't turn them off? Shut off fuel?