Right front wheel not turning from left to right.

/ Right front wheel not turning from left to right. #1  

DJP

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra,4500
I have a Mahindra 4500 2wd, I was working on the front wheel cylinder between the two front tires, had my tractor jacked up off the front tires. It been jacked up for two weeks. I disconnected the front cylinder from both front tires. Later the left front tire allow me to turn the left wheel manually free from left to right. But the right front wheel appear to be locked and would not allow me to manually turn the wheel left to right. I can turn the wheel around and around but not left to right. The front wheel spindle/wheel arm (the part that has the large castle bolt is not allowing me to move the wheel. I shot some Greece in the Greece line, and it came back out where the square bolt connects to the spindle. Can anyone inform how to get free my left front wheel, so it will turn back left and right.

/ Right front wheel not turning from left to right.
Is there anything binding it up?
Thanks for the reply Ledgemere Farm: No there are no signs that anything blocking or keeping it from manually moving from left to right. The other left wheel freely allow you to manually turn it left and right. Do I need to hit it with something heavy and big? Can I remove the square bolt on the same side of the Greece needle, Greece again with bolt off, or apply some type of oil, that may loosen the spindle with the large castle nut.

/ Right front wheel not turning from left to right. #4  
sounds like mechanical binding in the pivot joint on the front axle. Not sure if they are bearings or bushings separating the rigid axle from the rotating (turning) wheel hub assembly. I would not get to rough but tapping with block or wood should indicate if it try's to move.

/ Right front wheel not turning from left to right. #5  
sounds like mechanical binding in the pivot joint on the front axle. Not sure if they are bearings or bushings separating the rigid axle from the rotating (turning) wheel hub assembly. I would not get to rough but tapping with block or wood should indicate if it try's to move.
Yes. A little tap, but don’t break it. Is it cold there? Could it have ice in it? Everything sucks when it’s cold. -11 here this morning 🥶

sounds like mechanical binding in the pivot joint on the front axle. Not sure if they are bearings or bushings separating the rigid axle from the rotating (turning) wheel hub assembly. I would not get to rough but tapping with block or wood should indicate if it try's to move.ook

Thanks oldnslo: for the reply. I took off the right wheel, not to damage the wheel tire/rim. Hit the wheel axle with a 4/4 6 foot long, the axle did not move. Can I loosen the bolt right below the large castle nut, too see it a hard hit will make the axle move???

Thanks 0ldnslo: I hit the wheel HUB with a 4/4 6ft, and the hub did not budge. Where to start to get the right side HUB back moving left to right. Can I loosen the bolt/nut just below the large castle nut, will that loosen the front right wheel arm assembly housing, that houses the right side spindle for the HUB to turn???

/ Right front wheel not turning from left to right. #8  
Posting a picture of the problem might be of help if you're familiar with doing that.

Posting a picture of the problem might be of help if you're familiar with doing that.
Thanks for the reply Npalen: Do I need to take off the Hub assembly, to unfreeze the hub not turning right or left. Start by removing the bolt and nut just below the top large castle nut. Remove the large castle nut. and use what tool to get the HUB spindle out of the front wheel hub spindle housing? The whole HUB is froze in one position.

/ Right front wheel not turning from left to right. #10  
Without a picture(s) its hard to know what parts the "large castle nut" and "square bolt" are for sure. Did the steering quit working and is that why you were working on the cylinder?

Sounds like you need to remove whatever is holding the steering spindle to the front axle and try to get the spindle out or freed. Anyone close by that could help you diagnose?