Research for late fall maybe next year....ZTR experience

/ Research for late fall maybe next year....ZTR experience
Thanks appreciate it...!

/ Research for late fall maybe next year....ZTR experience #12  
Here is the advice from a 30 year veteran L&G mechanic, look for a used Scag or Hustler. Both get my vote above and beyond a Exmark, Ferris ect. The ride on them is much better, especially the Cheeta from Scag and any Hustler that has the optional Flex Forks on the front. A rough riding ZTR defeats the purpose, to be able to cut the yard faster, no to mention hard on the back and kidneys. Simplity and Ferris are the same basic machines other than the low end Simplicity, both are owned by B&S. Scag is commercial grade all the way, same for Hustler. I found Exmarks harder to work on and not as user friendly. Stay with Kawasaki engines if at all possible unless you find a steal on a Kubota ZD diesel powered ZTR. Keep in mind that most ZTR's are a bit of a fuel hog with high HP twin cylinder engines. So the ablity to move quickly makes up for the fuel usage. Exmarks are ok and if you find one for a good deal, go for it. I would personally avoid anything tied to B&S till this bankruptcy is over and the dust settles. You might end up with an orphan machine with poor parts support. If I personally had the yard for a ZTR, it would be a Kubota ZD with the diesel. Their front axle is set up to be used as a jack to raise the machine up so you can clean the deck and change/sharpen the blades without the need for anything else. The crank handle is under the nose plate. The parts and logistical support for Kubota, Hustler and Scag are second to non, both in dealerships and online parts support. Good luck on your hunt! Make sure to post up pics when you get your new mower! Mike

I bought a new 48" SCAG Liberty (21HP Kawasaki) earlier this month.
It is the homeowner (lesser) version of the SCAG line, but it does look to be a very well built machine.
New $4410..OTD.

/ Research for late fall maybe next year....ZTR experience #13  
It is the homeowner (lesser) version of the SCAG line, but it does look to be a very well built machine.
New $4410..OTD.
Just like most other Mfg., Scag and Hustler offer low end residential (cheaper made/cheaper cost) through high end commercial models (much heavier duty and much more expensive).
Its all about how much you want to spend

/ Research for late fall maybe next year....ZTR experience #14  
I would imagine that Briggs is not going to be the last one to go through bankruptcy. Commercial grade mowers are pretty basic machines. Look at the frame and deck and how comfortable it is. Most of them use the same couple of engine brands, same couple of hydrostatic drives, and have similar decks. Check the reviews and utube videos and find something you can live with.

I would imagine that Briggs is not going to be the last one to go through bankruptcy. Commercial grade mowers are pretty basic machines. Look at the frame and deck and how comfortable it is. Most of them use the same couple of engine brands, same couple of hydrostatic drives, and have similar decks. Check the reviews and utube videos and find something you can live with.

Yup agree.....and have spent many hours on this......The Hustler looked promising until I read the reviews. Seems they are suffering a bit in the QC area after they entered the big box store market. I think they left that market, but the reviews reflect welding, paint, anti-scalping wheel issues.

The ZT2800 is the smallest hydro-motor to consider which can be serviced. Looked at Gravely and the reviews for the residential grade were worse then the Hustler. Looking at the Arien Apex model. For the price point it has a ZT3100 hyd-motor versus the ZT2800 for the same entry level.
We do have a eXmark dealer within a mile from us but their residential model has a riveted frame. The company responded with a reply of how well they have held up over the years. Guess to me being cynical that was a marketing disclaimer. They did recommend the Radius model.

For the front two acres, am thinking the 48" will suffice. We are about seven weeks from moving in, then the final grade for water run off begins. So timeline looks like winter for a buy. Maybe there will be a few sales.

Still looking at Hustler reviews, to see if the 2020 reviews get better. Tractor dealer in Shiner is only 10 miles away and he carries them. So will see how that goes. From what I've read the ZT3100 is the way to go.

Thanks for sharing....

New $4410..OTD.

Good price.....saw several on the auction sites ......btw.....which hydro-motor does it have?
Is it the ZT-2800 or 3100?
Scag website say call dealer for details.......

thanks....

/ Research for late fall maybe next year....ZTR experience #17  
Bought a Kubota Z700 series mower recently. So far so good. Could probably have gone with a Z400 series, but when I'm in the steep areas and working those transaxles hard I'm glad I got the bigger unit. Also happy to have tank-like deck and such (7 gauge!) when I hit a gigantic rock the other day.

Re: self servicing, generally smaller ZT mowers don't have user-serviceable transaxle setups, so if you're looking at $5K units you may be out of luck there. Bigger things like the Z700 are more (technically) user serviceable.

Either way, have a ball. My Z700 is a lawn rocket, a bit of a thrill to ride, and one easy steering mistake away from a spectacular accident.

/ Research for late fall maybe next year....ZTR experience #18  
You're on the right track. I'll throw Grasshopper out there too if you have a dealer that's close. Like the others they make entry level mowers up through high end commercial. Around here most lawn care professionals use them. I like the front mount models for my own use but they are not for everyone.

Bought a Kubota Z700 series mower recently. So far so good. Could probably have gone with a Z400 series, but when I'm in the steep areas and working those transaxles hard I'm glad I got the bigger unit. Also happy to have tank-like deck and such (7 gauge!) when I hit a gigantic rock the other day.

Re: self servicing, generally smaller ZT mowers don't have user-serviceable transaxle setups, so if you're looking at $5K units you may be out of luck there. Bigger things like the Z700 are more (technically) user serviceable.

Either way, have a ball. My Z700 is a lawn rocket, a bit of a thrill to ride, and one easy steering mistake away from a spectacular accident.

The Z400/700 both too rich for my blood........

However the Z200 has the ZT3100 hydro-motors, as the others I've been looking into.

Going to Shiner to pick up a set of forks in a few.......have six pallets of leftover limestone now that stonework complete.
I'll be asking him about the Ariens Apex, since he carries Gravely and Hustler.
Between he and the Kubota dealer about 12 miles away these two (Ariens Apex & Z200) will have to be a test drive to set what fits best for my short chunky bod.........They are both within budget (Hmm?) and have the hydro-motors for the slopes out here. Well on edit dug deeper on the specs.....a B&S engine is a deal killer for me. Yeah I know we all have had one that has lasted for decades yadi...yadi....however, YMMV and the only two choices for me is the kawasaki first, Kholer second. Which is why the Kioti ZTR is a non-starter.......so........heh.....heh.......will still drop by and speak with the local dealer......cause well it's the internet and I'm cynical kinda guy.....gotta look at someone in the eye and see if he's straight up or sketchy.....heh...heh...

Thanks for the reminder on the Bota........oh yeah I remember....read a lot of reviews about some throwing belts and poor cuts like the Hustler and Gravely......However I'm not interested in pasture of the month club. Looking for cutting around the soon to be new house and front 2 acres and keeping it looking at least decent looking but not OCD about it.......

Bota does have a sweet finance deal going on right now as well.......!
Hope Y-lee don't get jealous of another orange for a room mate......:D:laughing:

Last edited:
   / Research for late fall maybe next year....ZTR experience #20  
Hope Y-lee don't get jealous of another orange for a room mate......:D:laughing:

Yeah, I have my Z700 parked next to my MX5400. I tell visitors the Z700 is my little mower, and the MX5400 (with 6' landpride brush hog) is my big mower. Lots of orange in my garage.