Replacing the Knee

/ Replacing the Knee #71  
Molalla 1, good luck with your op tomorrow. I ended up being cathed three times before i was able to go on my own. Glad about that else i would have been stuck there. The hospital sent in a prescription for oxicotin which i do not really care for. I did not know that untill i was home. Last night was kind of rough but i am down to a maybe 2 or 3 pain wise so i will skip the pills. Now it's on to getting around again
The surgeon has moved my operation to next month, I don't know what day yet . . . 😞.

/ Replacing the Knee #72  
Bummer, i was not pleased to have to wait until the 12th when had i had clearance from my cardiologist, i could have gotten in the Monday after Thanksgiving. Hang in there

/ Replacing the Knee #73  
Thought that I would update on my progress. Nineteen days out now. I can walk without any support but prefer to use a cane. Still have a little swelling. Pain level mostly about a one or a two. At therapy yesterday, the therapist got me to about a 60 degree bend which was pretty tight but not unbearable. I can do a lot of things on my own or some things to help my wife whom is bearing more of a load than I am going through this. I can also manage to drive my E350 Ford van albeit a bit cramped for my left leg which I had the procedure on.

I have suggested finding homes for our four horses if possible but she won't have it so it's more tough love for her on that.

/ Replacing the Knee
Thought that I would update on my progress. Nineteen days out now. I can walk without any support but prefer to use a cane. Still have a little swelling. Pain level mostly about a one or a two. At therapy yesterday, the therapist got me to about a 60 degree bend which was pretty tight but not unbearable. I can do a lot of things on my own or some things to help my wife whom is bearing more of a load than I am going through this. I can also manage to drive my E350 Ford van albeit a bit cramped for my left leg which I had the procedure on.

I have suggested finding homes for our four horses if possible but she won't have it so it's more tough love for her on that.
glad to hear so far so good, and you are coming along. I know several that have had replacement that had to go back in due to infection.
19 days ? I'm glad I was able to take a different route (for now anyway) I'm pretty much back to doing everything I was doing prior to surgery, But mine wasn't as extensive as yours.

I had to have a friend take care of me ,and my livestock for about 2.5-3 weeks

Wishing you the best during your recovery .
hang in there, It'll get better every day !

/ Replacing the Knee #75  
My right knee was replaced 11/19/2022. I was able to walk without any help 2 days later. I was also able to go up and down stairs, one step at a time, without any problem. Things went well until the 4th week of therapy. For over 2 years before the replacement I could only bend my right knee about 90 degrees. I had talked to my therapist about it. I had a different therapist on the second visit in the 4th week. I did not think of telling her about the limited range of motion I had prior. Well, she pushed my leg to far & caused some damage to knee ligaments. For the last 2 weeks I have a lot of pain when sitting in & getting up from a chair & going up & down stairs. Walking is fine.

The worst problem I had was not sleeping for 4 weeks.

I go back to the surgeon for a post op visit next week. I plan on getting my left knee on the schedule.

/ Replacing the Knee #76  
Replaced my right knee in 2018 and my left one in January of 2022. I played competitive sports of one kind or another for 60 years. I waited until I just got tired of the pain and had them done. I picked orthopedic surgeons who specialized in joint replacement. I've had excellent outcomes on both knees and am pain-free for the first time in my life (well, at least in my knees). The one thing that I did, based on advice from an ortho nurse my first time around, was to do the rehab exercises for a month BEFORE surgery to increase my flexibility and strength. That helped me regain full extension and 120 degrees of flex very quickly after surgery and I was released from physical therapy a couple of weeks early both times. I'm happy that I did this and will most likely be replacing hips in the near future.

/ Replacing the Knee #77  
I also did exercises & rode a stationary bike before my replacement. It also helped me recover faster.
Before the replacement my extension was 15 degrees & flex was about 90 degrees. I am now at full extension & 129 degrees flex.

/ Replacing the Knee #78  
Sleeping has been a problem with me also. I am slowly getting back to being able to sleep on my side with a pillow to support my knee/leg. I like to wrap my leg with an Ace bandage during the day but not at night. What i find is that at night my leg wants to tighten up so if i lay flat on my back it becomes uncomfortable. I am starting with a new therapy clinic weds only to cut down on the distance i have to travel so i have lots to discuss. While it would be nice to progress faster, I can accept where i am at.

/ Replacing the Knee
I slept in a recliner and popped the pain pills on and off for 2 weeks..

I would go to sleep watching tv.
when the pain pills wore off about 4 am. I watched Highway patrol.
When that went off, I took more pain pills and went back to snoozing !

Wishing you the best with that knee !

/ Replacing the Knee #80  
Sleeping has been a problem with me also. I am slowly getting back to being able to sleep on my side with a pillow to support my knee/leg. I like to wrap my leg with an Ace bandage during the day but not at night. What i find is that at night my leg wants to tighten up so if i lay flat on my back it becomes uncomfortable. I am starting with a new therapy clinic weds only to cut down on the distance i have to travel so i have lots to discuss. While it would be nice to progress faster, I can accept where i am at.
Hang in there. It is a marathon, not a sprint. Consistently doing the PT exercises on the days off from when you go to the PT clinic will pay off big. Taking oral pain meds 1 hour prior to PT is good. We do that with our total hip and total knee patients that stay in the hospital. It allows you to better participate in PT.