Replacing the Knee

/ Replacing the Knee #21  
I appreciate the advice. So far, the injection I had Monday is doing great !

If I end up with replacement, I'll most likely have to get someone to stay with me to help with the farm (feed cows, chickens, etc,) , as I'm single.
For now, we'll see how long this steroid shot last, as I really don't want a new knee. I'd rather keep my original equipment, if ya know what I mean LOL

I can some what remember my grandmother having hers replaces back in the 70's she lived to be 80 and never had a stroke.
I would hope the procedure is much easier now days than back then.
FWIW, I had both hips replaced 7 years ago by a highly rated surgical practice that does over 500 replacements a year. Both hips are doing fine with minimal limits on range of motion. I suspect this has something to do with my strict adherence to the physical therapy.

My left knee has been giving me trouble now for the last 2 years or so. The surgical practice that did my hips says I still have 30 to 40% of cartilage remaining and don't recommend replacement. The problem is likely a torn meniscus and, so far, has been treatable with injections. Endoscopic surgery is a possibility but the success rate is rather low. At my age, I'll likely never get to a bone on bone state so knee replacement may never be an option for me. Hopefully, the injections will continue to work.

Keep in mind, every case is different. The above is just my personal experience. The only real advice I can offer is to find a doctor with a great deal of experience and if replacement is necessary, one who uses robotic surgery.

/ Replacing the Knee #23  
I agree on the don't wait. X ray will show bone on bone. Waiting give you a wonky gait, causing hip pain. Had both done, second one in May of this year. So nice not to wince at every step when walking. I do have arthritis in both feet so still have pain, but not in the knees. Pt is important.

/ Replacing the Knee
this problem knee has been scoped twice. Last Doc said If I returned to her, it would be replaced. she stated she didn't like to perform replacement on people less than 70, but to them having to be replaced again before they die.
Needless to say, I didn't return to her this last time.

So far, I'm still doing good with the fluid being drawn off and the injection Monday.
If it acts up, maybe this doc will consider another scope, but he indicated that would depend on what the MRI showed.

/ Replacing the Knee #25  
My dad’s wife just got her 2nd knee done (3 years apart) and said the robotic surgery went so much better.

/ Replacing the Knee #26  
Timely discussion for me. I am going to see the orthopedic doctor tomorrow for mine. I had meniscus surgery on it in 2005. Good for a long time but after about ten years, arthritis started to set in. Been getting the rooster comb shots for the last six years or so, five shots, once a week for five weeks. Trouble is, medicare only pays for one knee at a time so because both my wife and I were getting both knees done, that meant ten ~90 minute trips to the clinic.

This past spring, my wife had TAVR pending so we could not start the procedure because medicare does not allow for interuptions to the schedule. We found a clinic that did a one shot deal. My wife found it to be painful. For me, not so much but then this summer, I started having pain.

I put off doing anything thinking to start the five week injection routine this month once the six month period between shots was over and I could qualify again. Now my lower leg is bowing and I cannot fully straighten or bend my leg not to mention the pain.

My surgeon did my shoulder eleven years ago. The clinic offers the robotic surgery so if need be I will get it done. Ha, I had blood clots four days after my shoulder was repaired but I am still here. That ought to be good for some sick jokes with the surgeon.

/ Replacing the Knee
Timely discussion for me. I am going to see the orthopedic doctor tomorrow for mine. I had meniscus surgery on it in 2005. Good for a long time but after about ten years, arthritis started to set in. Been getting the rooster comb shots for the last six years or so, five shots, once a week for five weeks. Trouble is, medicare only pays for one knee at a time so because both my wife and I were getting both knees done, that meant ten ~90 minute trips to the clinic.

This past spring, my wife had TAVR pending so we could not start the procedure because medicare does not allow for interuptions to the schedule. We found a clinic that did a one shot deal. My wife found it to be painful. For me, not so much but then this summer, I started having pain.

I put off doing anything thinking to start the five week injection routine this month once the six month period between shots was over and I could qualify again. Now my lower leg is bowing and I cannot fully straighten or bend my leg not to mention the pain.

My surgeon did my shoulder eleven years ago. The clinic offers the robotic surgery so if need be I will get it done. Ha, I had blood clots four days after my shoulder was repaired but I am still here. That ought to be good for some sick jokes with the surgeon.
well, I was hopeful the shot would do the trick, but last night the pain woke me up about 3am.
I'll be calling the doc in the am to see what the next course of action will be.
MRI, more shots, etc,.
This first shot lasted almost a week

/ Replacing the Knee #28  
well, I was hopeful the shot would do the trick, but last night the pain woke me up about 3am.
I'll be calling the doc in the am to see what the next course of action will be.
MRI, more shots, etc,.
The "gel" injections worked for me for a few years but ceased to be effective last year. The steroid injections help a lot now but their effectiveness is unpredictable. they last anywhere from a few days to a couple of months.

FWIW, I found sleeping with a pillow under / between my knees helps a lot for nighttime pain.

/ Replacing the Knee #29  
MRI, more shots, etc,.
Have you tried the series of 3 shots, a week apart? I believe they are called "roster comb" . . . I did them a while back, worked for some time . . . but you will probably be ending up with "the operation" like I have scheduled for December.

/ Replacing the Knee #30  
The "gel" injections worked for me for a few years but ceased to be effective last year. The steroid injections help a lot now but their effectiveness is unpredictable. they last anywhere from a few days to a couple of months.

FWIW, I found sleeping with a pillow under / between my knees helps a lot for nighttime pain.
Me too. I sleep on my side and use a small neck pillow and place my knees in the hole in the middle.