Replacement tractor

/ Replacement tractor #11  
I demo'd one back in '06 and really liked it. The hydrostat was slick and smooth and easily the best CUT hydrostat I've ever used.

Out of curiosity what is breaking on the machine? Is it bad design or abuse?

BTW I didn't go with the 4720 at the time because the brand new machine left a large diesel fuel puddle in my barn because of a leaky fuel tank. That and the engine start routine featured the engine revving up and blowing a ton of black smoke each time for the first several seconds.

/ Replacement tractor #12  
Lots of options out there! 4066R and L6060 are both premium quality model lines with lots of bells/whistles but you pay dearly for them. Some really enjoy those convenience and comforts. Some dont need them. These seem like appropriate size machines as long as you arent doing a ton of field work. Mowing, food plots (plowing/harrowing) are tasks a larger machine will always do quicker but maybe you have lots of time. If you are changing 3PT implements a bunch I do favor the 4066R with the rear creaper controls (you can move control the tractor from the back wheel guard). I dont think the L6060 has this yet, but I havent looked in a couple of years.

When doing your comparison, start with basic dimensions (L.W.H, wheelbase) and weight. This will help you get into the same class of machine. These should have similar capacities across the board, but some will stick out in certain areas. LS, Kioti, Deere, Kubota, Branson, Massey, Mahindra, Yanmar, TYM would be primary brands I look to review. I shy away from NH (they are Ls), RK (they are TYM), Bobcat (another rebranded machine).

With lift capacity be very careful. Comparisons should be for exact same measurements from the FEL pins. This is where some dealers tell white lies....(ie 200mm from pints at max height instead of the standard 500mm). Be sure apples to apples.

A backhoe or a Skid Steer are not good options...you have mowing to do. That eliminates them as single machines for field mowing.

/ Replacement tractor
Thanks for all of the replies. On my tractor the hours are near 1000. The tractor has been abused in that I used it above its capacities. It has popped numerous 2-3 inch pines and gums, moved lots of red clay maintaining woods trails and leveling ancient farm berms. The engine and trans are still strong . The plastic hood has cracks and messed up front and latches. Replacement is over 2 grand. Biggest issue is with bucket. The woods loader bracket has lost two attachment points near where the transmission housing goes around the open station. The engine casing broke off around the back of the bolt about 1/2 deep. Because it is cast metal my welder said it is not fixable . The tractor is almost 20 years old and is starting to show mental fatigue . As I mentioned I should of had a small cat, bobcat or large backhoe for a lot of those jobs. Most of the heavy work is done except for one job. I had the woods game cut last year . I had a large loader clean up the larger stumps and heavier scrap wood but am still moving small tree tops, stumps and logs and working in new food plot clearings. The fields are clean and are mostly bush hogged and plowed with spring plows, harrows and my john deere rototiller . I am retired and enjoy reworking the property, maintaining a small pond and working the fields. Having someone else do it isn't really an option. I am ready for a new machine. I am leary of tier 4 stuff but it is what it is. If I could find a newer used tractor that would be good. But it seems that right now 50-60 hp tractors are made of gold! the 4066r and l6060 are still top of my list.

/ Replacement tractor #14  
The reason I own a Kubota and not a JD is because Kubotas have steel hoods. I have a JD mower I only use at my house in town and I have managed to break the hood multiple times.

I have 72 acres and do basically the same tasks you have described. My 5460 is right size for most jobs. The 5460 is the same tractor as the 6060 with less HP.

/ Replacement tractor #15  
OP -
If your amenable to used and have time try focusing on used local government auctions. Especially in metropolitan areas. One of the counties near me in Northern Virginia had a policy of replacing their equipment every X years.
In 2012 I got my 1995 M4700 with 1400 WELL MAINTAINED hours on it for $11.5K.
Came with a canopy FEL, dual rear remotes. Only major (?) expense has been 2 front tires, it had almost new rears.

/ Replacement tractor #16  
Being you are shopping around, may i suggest you look at the Mahindra? I have one and it is a strong tractor (2565). Being your JD is a 47 hp, you can check out the 3600 series.

Good Luck!

/ Replacement tractor
newbury, that is a great idea. I have had friends score big on those kinds of auctions. I am in no hurry, my 4720 isn't dead yet. It just seems to always need something lately. I checked out LS tractors today. I think its out as I didn't get a warm fuzzy. First the dealer is a small operation. The shop, yard, and sales area are filthy, almost like a junkyard. They maybe great but... Second there seems to be quite a few negative reviews. Third the gas tank being low is nice for filling but seems pretty exposed for snags in woods. The local Jd dealer is great for parts (except for prices) but mechanics are mostly gator/ zero turn types. Sales person today tried to jump me to a 4044r as a replacement for my 4720 ( as equivalent ). I just saw dbchaplin03s 6060 deal. That would of been perfect. Day late/ dollar short! Still trying to figure it out. Jeff, definitely not looking for a compact tractor backhoe. I did pitch keeping the 4720 as an implement tractor and back off on the loader function and buy an older full-size ford backhoe for the heavier work to the wife. She still doesn't love the idea.

/ Replacement tractor #18  
OP -
If your amenable to used and have time try focusing on used local government auctions. Especially in metropolitan areas. One of the counties near me in Northern Virginia had a policy of replacing their equipment every X years.
In 2012 I got my 1995 M4700 with 1400 WELL MAINTAINED hours on it for $11.5K.
Came with a canopy FEL, dual rear remotes. Only major (?) expense has been 2 front tires, it had almost new rears.

I'd agree with that. Other public auctions are utility companies, school districts, shopping centers, and churches.
1000 hrs may be significant on some compacts and homeowner machinery, but is not nearly the same amount of wear on on commercial machines or more heavily built tractors.
rScotty

/ Replacement tractor #19  
   / Replacement tractor #20  
Being you are shopping around, may i suggest you look at the Mahindra? I have one and it is a strong tractor (2565). Being your JD is a 47 hp, you can check out the 3600 series.

Good Luck!
I have to chime in on the Mahindra as well. I just bought my second one and in terms of lift capacity for the FEL and 3 PT it is head and shoulders above the green or orange machines in the same HP category. My first Mahindra (new in 2006) had a well known paint issue as many of the early machines did, however its performance never disappointed me. The new machines are made in the USA and the build quality is comparable to the big players out there. You will get more performance and value. Comes with skid steer QA which is a big plus over the Deere which has their own system. Take a look and compare for yourself.