Replacement lens & backup helmet?

/ Replacement lens & backup helmet? #11  
My AD helmet originally can with "welded" and sealed in batteries.... After it died I contacted helmet manufacturer (Metalman) and they "very graciously" shared the cost of a replacement AD unit with one that uses a pair of AAA batteries..... My major problem though is not with any AD units, but good comfortable headgear that will hold helmet in place during awkward moves/positions...

The other thing to consider if its a "solar" unit with sealed in batteries it need to be stored where light can reach solar cells... Keeping it under cover or in storage bag will shorten battery life....

/ Replacement lens & backup helmet? #12  
Went to do some practice today out in the frosty cold shop & my Miller Digital Elite auto-darkening helmet wouldn't power on. Replaced the battery & still nothing. Promptly realized there are 2 batteries & vaguely only remember replacing 1 the last time a few years ago. 1 3v battery was about 1v & the other 2.3v, so likely only replaced one last time, or one just died a lot harder this time. So hoping I just need another new battery I don't have on hand at the moment. Ordering new batteries now & generally being annoyed.

So I proceed to dig out my 10-15 year old Northern tool helmet I keep around as a backup. Auto-darkening lens in it is dead to. Poke around & there is no user serviceable way to change the batteries. Kind of impressed it lasted as long as it did actually, although I have no idea when it died. I've had to replace batteries in the Miller at least once & it's probably half it's age. Pull the lens assembly apart & the batteries (same size as my Miller helmet batteries) are welded to the tabs. I can solder, but am not setup to weld battery tabs, so likely to never put it back together. No welding today for me.

Backup helmet thoughts:
Any other recommendations?
Antra are not to expensive and have 4 sensors fast switching. They have very good ratings for the price and feedback is good on amazon.
i am considering replacing my 7 year old Antra AH 6 260 with an AH 7 860 model Mainly for a larger window, but it has worked well for TIG MIG stick and plasma cutting plus has a grinding mode plus replaceable 2032 batteries.

The Lincoln 3350 Viking looks Good to but at 5 times the cost it should.

Last edited:
   / Replacement lens & backup helmet? #13  
How do people store their helmets? I try to keep it in the garage (drawer) in my welding cart to keep the dust off. It has solar cells on it to allegedly charge up the batteries, but those obviously don't work in a dark drawer.
My Antra helmet from Amazon was recommended here in this forum. I bought it in 2016, and replaced the two coin cells (2032) for the first time last year. It lives in the dark, in a filing cabinet in the shop. I suspect its 'solar cell' is only to trigger it when welding.

/ Replacement lens & backup helmet?
My Antra helmet from Amazon was recommended here in this forum. I bought it in 2016, and replaced the two coin cells (2032) for the first time last year. It lives in the dark, in a filing cabinet in the shop. I suspect its 'solar cell' is only to trigger it when welding.
Ya, I've suspected the same. My Northern Tool & The HF helmet look about the same. I suspect they are all just copies. Switches vs knows on the sensitivity & some have replaceable batteries. The replaceable batteries seem to be the only really useful extra feature.

On the picture for the Ebay one I just ordered & several others they indicate 2-4 sensors the size of small LEDs in addition to the solar cell. No clue if the solar is yo run things while welding, an additional sensor to permit grind mode, or to charge the battery. Who knows on the cheap stuff.

/ Replacement lens & backup helmet? #15  
The HF 'Blue Flame' helmet from 20 (?) years ago needed to charge in sunlight before it was ready to use. But not this Antra.

/ Replacement lens & backup helmet? #16  
I had a basic Amazon helmet which I see is NLA. The lens worked well but the rest of it was hard to keep in position. Flimsy. A basic Tweco helmet with the 4 sensors is good. That is my back up. I spent a few more bucks and got a nicer Lincoln wide view that I really like. Optrel can KMA after offering no help with my Satellite and their soldered in batteries.

/ Replacement lens & backup helmet?
New batteries got my Miller back online. May try to fiddle with soldering batteries into the old Northern Tool helmet, or may just toss it & wait for the cheap Ebay replacement to show up for my spare.