Repairing Yard..best methods and attachments

/ Repairing Yard..best methods and attachments #21  
The pictures aren't what I expected, either.

The worst problem you have is water is eroding your surfaces.

I agree with ddbackhoe. Try a drag/chain to level out your yard............... without being too aggressive and destroying your grass because your grass is what is holding back soil erosion in your yard. Take it easy in your yard.

You need to get the water diverted from your roadbed as ddbackhoe said.

1/2 of the roads in the USA are still dirt or gravel. The Center for Dirt and Gravel Road Studies at PennState has several detailed technical bulletins explaining common dirt road problems and how to fix them. Look at where your water is coming from and take a look at these common methods of diverting water from a dirt road. https://dirtandgravel.psu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/TB_Surface_Drainage_Practices.pdf and https://dirtandgravel.psu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/TB_Broad-Based_Dips.pdf and

/ Repairing Yard..best methods and attachments #22  
Here topsoil cost more than crushed stone..why not fix it once and for all with stone?

/ Repairing Yard..best methods and attachments #23  
Here topsoil cost more than crushed stone..why not fix it once and for all with stone?
I hear what your are saying but i hate to mow grass over gravel, my windows and windshield hate it also.

/ Repairing Yard..best methods and attachments #24  
For the first and second picture the way to fix it for good without hauling material would be to bottom plow the road, and doing it so the row get flip towards the center of the road elevating it and creating a ditch on both side... then till it grade and seed... I know it might not be practical for you, since you won't be able to use that road for a year or so and you may don't own these implements.

You could create the same result by bottom plowing a parcel, tilling it and hauling the material back and grading it... but once again you need these implements.

Last edited:
   / Repairing Yard..best methods and attachments #25  
If you live in a region that freezes and thawls, I would do nothing at all with the first two pics. Natural freezing and thawing will bring that back up eventually. Fertilize it and mow it

In the second pics where you're getting the water erosion put down some large gravel like they use on base for driveways.

Use the box blade on it first and tear it up. Get it smooth and then bring in the large gravel.2-3" gravel.

/ Repairing Yard..best methods and attachments
Thanks for all the excellent replies and advice. I will keep yall posted on how it goes :)

/ Repairing Yard..best methods and attachments #27  
I hear what your are saying but i hate to mow grass over gravel, my windows and windshield hate it also.
Pack the gravel in and dont mow at 1in height.

/ Repairing Yard..best methods and attachments #29  
Thanks for all the excellent replies and advice. I will keep yall posted on how it goes :)
Waters gonna go where water wants to go. During the next big rainstorm, observe where and how water is flowing. Then figure out how you can guide it off and away from your road. If you have a low spot it can drain into - that's great. If not make your own depression/swale.

1678294043718.png

/ Repairing Yard..best methods and attachments
I used the box blade and worked on the road for a couple hours last week. Pretty impressed with the Everything Attachments box blade. The road looked pristine and perfect after that. I didn't crown or slope it yet, mostly because of time constraints. I will leave it and see what the rain does next big downpour. I am using it as a learning experience and practice :)

• Good Post
Reactions: DMW