Repairing Yard..best methods and attachments

/ Repairing Yard..best methods and attachments #1  

tomcatg

Tractor
Kubota L3901DT
Hey Folks,

I need to do some lawn and road repair. I have 22 acres and I had a new barn built last year. In building the barn everyone had to drive through my yard daily to get to the new barn location. So it is about 1000 feet back from the road. About 500' or so is the "yard" and then it goes to field. All the traffic made some ruts through the yard portion and that's what I am trying to fix. I have a Kubota L3901 and I have a box blade. I was thinking that I would get some topsoil and use the box blade to spread it. I wondered if I should rent a lawn roller and try to smooth it in or what. I just bought the box blade last year so don't have much time with it so not really at finesse level with it and don't want to do more damage if I can help it :)

Thanks

/ Repairing Yard..best methods and attachments #2  
In my area, topsoil is now at a premium so I would fill and compact the ruts to 2-3” low then add 2-3” of uncompacted topsoil, rake, seed, mulch and water.

/ Repairing Yard..best methods and attachments #3  
Pictures are always welcome and usually helpful.

Based on what you've said, I'd suggest you bite the bullet and use your box blade to grade the ruts as smooth as you can get them. You'll get the hang of it quickly. Dont worry. Reseed after you work it back to level. The issue will be clumps of dirt and grass until it all settles back together. You may not need to buy topsoil.

/ Repairing Yard..best methods and attachments #4  
You'll be amazed at how much final finish work you can do with an old heavy pallet drug behind an ATV or garden tractor. Breaks up the clouds and spreads the grass seed around.

/ Repairing Yard..best methods and attachments #5  
With 22 acres you should be able to find some dirt that could be dug up and moved to fill your ruts.

/ Repairing Yard..best methods and attachments #6  
You'll be amazed at how much final finish work you can do with an old heavy pallet drug behind an ATV or garden tractor. Breaks up the clouds and spreads the grass seed around.
Or dragging some chain link fence to break up the clods.

/ Repairing Yard..best methods and attachments #7  
Or dragging some chain link fence to break up the clods.
With a nice big railroad tie on it, that has rebar sticking out of it. Medieval looking thingy. :)

/ Repairing Yard..best methods and attachments #8  
See if you can rent a Harley rake. If you cannot find a 3 point Harley rake to rent for your tractor, then rent a skid steer with a power rake. You can repair the yard and have it ready to seed in a day.

/ Repairing Yard..best methods and attachments #9  
A little learning curve with the box blade but the right tool for the job;must be dry.

/ Repairing Yard..best methods and attachments #10  
You might want to consider a drag harrow. An old bed spring will also work, but any project worth doing is a good excuse to buy another attachment, ;)