Refinishing options for backhoe paint

/ Refinishing options for backhoe paint #1  

tractortroof

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota b2650
IMG_2299.JPG

IMG_2302.JPG

Sandblasting quote was $1700, I want to remove the rust for sure, maybe not $1700 worth of want. This would be a family heirloom and would be worth preserving. I’m gathering that any other method of removing rust on something of this size could take excessive labor? Any ideas?

I could do it in sections, but is there anything that’ll remove the rust? Giant wire wheel? What’s the biggest wheel I could use? There is no salt here in Florida

/ Refinishing options for backhoe paint
Got a second quote today, if I bring it to them, they’ll knock down the rust spots for $3k

/ Refinishing options for backhoe paint #3  
How are you going to protect the bearings and other critical parts from the sand blasting? Sand will get into everything even when protected.

/ Refinishing options for backhoe paint #4  
I wouldn’t sandblast a put together and workable machine. You’ll have sand in absolutely everything. I’d leave it alone and do nothing but if you we’re going to paint it I’d start with preferably a hot water pressure washer and degrease everything. Then I’d hit the rust with either a wire wheel or a flap disk.

/ Refinishing options for backhoe paint
Some people are telling me that rust converting paint would work on surface rust? Not sure who to believe

/ Refinishing options for backhoe paint #6  
View attachment 727164
View attachment 727165

Sandblasting quote was $1700, I want to remove the rust for sure, maybe not $1700 worth of want. This would be a family heirloom and would be worth preserving. I’m gathering that any other method of removing rust on something of this size could take excessive labor? Any ideas?

I could do it in sections, but is there anything that’ll remove the rust? Giant wire wheel? What’s the biggest wheel I could use? There is no salt here in Florida
I would not sandblast it unless you are taking it apart. Like previous poster said the sand will get into every crack, crevice, bearing. Take off what you can to blast. Wire wheel the rest. You can use rust converter on surface rust once you get the loose rust off. It will turn it black and stop further rust. It works. Painting a machine and making it look good is very labor intensive and costly to do it right. You may try and buff some of the main tractor and see if there is enough paint left to get the shine back. Good luck. Big project.

/ Refinishing options for backhoe paint #7  
Go to Lowes, get "purple cleaner",, apply undiluted.

After setting, pressure wash,,
then
apply muriatic acid to the rust. (also at Lowes, in the swimming pool supply area)
Hose off, then pressure wash again.
Heat with a propane weed burner from HF,,

I paint as soon as dry,,

No sand blasting needed, maybe a wire brushing,,

/ Refinishing options for backhoe paint #8  
Wire wheel . Cup type , flat ,pointy whatever it takes to get scaly rust off. Ospho rust converter . Then top coat of paint . Lots of beer . that's what it takes to keep my older equipment looking good . Oh everything I have is old .

People always ask when did you get a new one ? Never just gave the old one a little touch up . They always seem to run better when they get a little TLC.🤠🍻

/ Refinishing options for backhoe paint #9  
POR-15, it's a very good rust encapsulating paint that contains it. You should at least check it out.

/ Refinishing options for backhoe paint #10  
This guy just hired some guys to come out and steam clean it. He may have done a little sanding but he wasn't clear he just mentioned sanding.