89,000lb wheel loader or 18,000lb backhoe???

/ 89,000lb wheel loader or 18,000lb backhoe???
I bought a New Holland 555E that is 2 wheel drive and open station. It has proven to be the Swiss Army Knife of equipment. It will do pretty much everything. At 80 hp, it has enough hydraulic power to dig out the biggest pine tree, and I've taken them out with 3 foot thick trunks!! For years, I dragged the trees to the burn pile, then pushed them up with the loader bucket. Eventually, I converted it to a Quick Attach System that I can use a grapple, pallet forks, and hay forks on it too. This was a huge game changer. I'm able to clear and clean up my place a lot faster and easier!!!

Excavator is the best at clearing trees, but it's horrible at moving them any distance. Backhoe does both.

Wheel Loader is great at loading material, and carrying it over a distance, but horrible at taking out trees. Backhoe does both.

Dozer is great at grading land, but horrible at taking out trees and moving them to the burn pile. Backhoe does both.

Find a backhoe with a quick change front bucket and it will be the one machine that does it all.

Yeah I am leaning more towards the backhoe as time has gone on. The big loaders would be fun to push stuff over with and tote them around, but needing to install 3 septic systems, dig footers, and other projects dealing with digging it seems to be the better choice.

/ 89,000lb wheel loader or 18,000lb backhoe???
Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it.

there is a local equipment auction coming up next week so ill be checking it out. Hopefully I can find something

/ 89,000lb wheel loader or 18,000lb backhoe??? #23  
I have looked into it, between there versatility and the attachments you can get for them I would consider it. just haven't really found any in my area in my price range and shape I would be willing to buy.

Even a smaller tracked machine will do very impressive work, something like a Bobcat T 180 or 190. I know I've mentioned Bobcat alot but that is all I've ever ran, a friend of mine has a concrete business and will loan me machines from time to time and they've always ran Bobcats.

/ 89,000lb wheel loader or 18,000lb backhoe??? #24  
I知 not sure what youæ±*e going to do with a 45 ton loader. It might have the brute force to clear trees but itç—´ too big to do anything with. Itç—´ too big to work with, itç—´ too big to work on ( which you値l be doing plenty of ) itç—´ too big to move, too big to get unstuck. A homeowner buying a loader that big for property management is a terrible idea.

AGREED !!!

/ 89,000lb wheel loader or 18,000lb backhoe??? #25  
I bought a New Holland 555E that is 2 wheel drive and open station. It has proven to be the Swiss Army Knife of equipment. It will do pretty much everything. At 80 hp, it has enough hydraulic power to dig out the biggest pine tree, and I've taken them out with 3 foot thick trunks!! For years, I dragged the trees to the burn pile, then pushed them up with the loader bucket. Eventually, I converted it to a Quick Attach System that I can use a grapple, pallet forks, and hay forks on it too. This was a huge game changer. I'm able to clear and clean up my place a lot faster and easier!!!

Excavator is the best at clearing trees, but it's horrible at moving them any distance. Backhoe does both.

Wheel Loader is great at loading material, and carrying it over a distance, but horrible at taking out trees. Backhoe does both.

Dozer is great at grading land, but horrible at taking out trees and moving them to the burn pile. Backhoe does both.

Find a backhoe with a quick change front bucket and it will be the one machine that does it all.

ABSOLUTELY!!!
Get a FULL SIZE.... TLB !!!!

/ 89,000lb wheel loader or 18,000lb backhoe??? #26  
Get the largest excavator you can get with a thumb that has steel tracks and a blade you can clear and grade it off and almost do anything. Nothing will touch a big dozer for clearing, period. A loader is a worthless POS. for clearing. In 40 years of operating equipment I never saw one loader ever used for clearing, except for taking off topsoil to load it on Rock trucks..... What ever you get, and while your learning I would first take all the windows out and save yourself the expense later.....jim

/ 89,000lb wheel loader or 18,000lb backhoe??? #27  
What ever you get, and while your learning I would first take all the windows out and save yourself the expense later.....jim

That right there is funny!!!! And so true!!!!

/ 89,000lb wheel loader or 18,000lb backhoe??? #28  
I don't know about in FL, but your budget is not sufficient (to be polite) for more than something with dozens of loose pins, dripping both types of oil, hose replacing, hope it starts pile of iron that's 1 or 2 steps away from the scrap man.
But then, do you feel lucky? Sorry for the downer and being seemingly "harsh" but for 15-18k, you better bring along a good H.E. mechanic with you to look it over.

/ 89,000lb wheel loader or 18,000lb backhoe??? #29  
People generate long-winded posts, apologize, but do it anyway!

Such BIG machinery is usually very operation specific. And size reflects productivity. Get a flat and it coud cost you thousands! That would be about the least expensive thing that could happen.

/ 89,000lb wheel loader or 18,000lb backhoe??? #30  
BIG trackhoe would work best but you are lookin at 50 to 100 thousand for a decent one. ---hire a contractor to do your work! ---cheaper in the long run.