Reaming out holes in thick steel?

/ Reaming out holes in thick steel? #31  
I used to use every tool they ever invent and have rotary files and super air power but as I ripen a little lean to easier and simpler, cheaper and faster. This is a version of this but get a bi metal with more teeth, they make a couple versions but this size bit works fair and lets it be done battery drill and chances are can use the bit for another couple dozen holes. The uni bit would be great as a starter to seat the holesaw.
hole oversize.JPG
hole saw.JPG
more bolts.JPG
more bolts.JPG

/ Reaming out holes in thick steel? #32  
In hidsite it might have been easier to get 2 bigger bolts fine thread each side to fill worn holes let this loader come loose but I drill 2 new 3/4 below the old to use typical bolts. Made 4 holes, 2 each side thru a couple 1/2 plates, took about 5 minutes each with a little water. Drilling horizontal is good, lets the shavings out.
New holes let me use common bolts I stock, all same size and can hammer them tight 1/2 impact. Hasnt come loose since.
Some of those dont even drill a pilot hole, once the bit starts its good. Fix oblong holes this way also. Weld the "egg" part up in a drawbar lets say and true it back up with a holesaw. Lets a guy to quite a precision tight hole.

Last edited:
   / Reaming out holes in thick steel?
I like this TBN forum. Lots of good input, not much b.s., most of the time.

/ Reaming out holes in thick steel? #34  
I remember doing the red bucket. I was adding extra holes and changed the spacing to make the bucket fit a couple of things and I had removed the matching plate. I clamped it to that plate after I drilled the holes you see and made a sister, actually 2 of them and on one I recall somehow reading the tape off by 1/2. I put the plug back and welded it in and recut it again.
I did some experiment with it. A guy couldnt keep it up all day but got as fast as 35 seconds with the 1 1/8 thru that 3/8. My drill is heavy duty which helps a little. Something I try to bring to this is economy and maybe even something left over. There are a lot of options if a guy wants to throw a lot at it or work hard enough but a practical effecient method can take some time to figure out.
I had a guy call a while back and want a couple tapped holes in a 1 1/2 plate and he was super surprised when I showed up in my car with battery drill, 3 drills a tiny oil and a tap. I should have bought a mag and intended to a couple times and got around it. They they invent the real battery drill and I been trying to master it since.

/ Reaming out holes in thick steel? #35  
Both, the red pic and the top were 3 point assemblies come to think of it. The top was 7/8 and a pain to fuss with a bushing or find a smaller bolt than the rest of our stuff and one day I reached the end and punch the holes out to inch.
We dont use it a lot but hook a couple times a year and it just added a step we always forgot till we got there. Just made it standard.

/ Reaming out holes in thick steel? #36  
I used to use every tool they ever invent and have rotary files and super air power but as I ripen a little lean to easier and simpler, cheaper and faster. This is a version of this but get a bi metal with more teeth, they make a couple versions but this size bit works fair and lets it be done battery drill and chances are can use the bit for another couple dozen holes. The uni bit would be great as a starter to seat the holesaw.
How do you stay true center with the hole saw w/o use of a pilot hole? I remember somebody on youtube showing a neat trick for that, but don't recall exactly what he did.

/ Reaming out holes in thick steel? #37  
How do you stay true center with the hole saw w/o use of a pilot hole? I remember somebody on youtube showing a neat trick for that, but don't recall exactly what he did.
I think one YouTuber recommended putting a hole saw that just fit the existing hole inside the larger hole saw.

/ Reaming out holes in thick steel? #38  
I used to use every tool they ever invent and have rotary files and super air power but as I ripen a little lean to easier and simpler, cheaper and faster. This is a version of this but get a bi metal with more teeth, they make a couple versions but this size bit works fair and lets it be done battery drill and chances are can use the bit for another couple dozen holes. The uni bit would be great as a starter to seat the holesaw. View attachment 703767View attachment 703768View attachment 703769View attachment 703769
About the cleanest tractor I've seen on here in a long time.. Most are cruddy and loaded with filth. Myself, I don't like getting greasy from the grease hanging all over a unit if I don't have to...

I was always under the impression that bi-metal hole saws are only for light gauge materials (I have a set of Blu-Mol's myself), but for thick steel hole drilling I use my Mag drill and a Roto-broach bit. Not cheap but not a wrist breaker either.

/ Reaming out holes in thick steel? #39  
I think one YouTuber recommended putting a hole saw that just fit the existing hole inside the larger hole saw.
That's interesting. Unless the smaller saw protruded beyond the larger saw to act as a pilot, I guess the path of least resistance for the combined saws would keep them on center?

/ Reaming out holes in thick steel? #40  
If they are the same depth and arbor size it would protrude.