Real questions that you would like to get an answer…

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #21  
For discussion purposes, .30-06 bolt action rifle, .357 revolver and semi auto 12 ga.

I am asking solely regarding home defense rounds. Not for target or practice. How many should I make sure I have on hand in reserve. In this day and age?
Maybe you should define home defense for us. You’re talking break-ins or mostly peaceful protests?

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #22  
Heat rises so keeping the basement warm helps but not that much. It’s better to put the heat in your living space.

You see people say this a lot and it is not actually correct. HOT AIR rises, not heat. It is a distinction that matters at times, and not at other times. People in the US have become so accustomed to their home heat source being heated forced air (which of course DOES rise) that they make the shortcut to "heat rises". Yeah some people think you are being a smart-a$$ when you say it because a lot of times we are indeed talking about hot air, but there are times where it is significant.

The Second Law of Thermodynamics can be rephrased in several ways. Fundamentally, it says that heat always flows from hot objects to cold objects (unless work is exerted to make it flow the other direction).

And this is what heat actually does: Moves from areas of higher temp to those of lower temp. The "hot air rises" bit is convection, which is one mode of heat transfer but not the only one.

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer…
Maybe you should define home defense for us. You’re talking break-ins or mostly peaceful protests?
General home defense. Break-ins or more.

How many rounds of ammo are people having in reserve at home right now today.

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #24  
For discussion purposes, .30-06 bolt action rifle, .357 revolver and semi auto 12 ga.

I am asking solely regarding home defense rounds. Not for target or practice. How many should I make sure I have on hand in reserve. In this day and age?

My rule of thumb is two complete reloads for what ever it is. For a .357 revolver that would be 15-21 rounds. For the 12 Ga about the same. My load out for an AR is 3x30 round mag down loaded by 1 in each mag so 87-90 rounds

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #25  

You don't want to know what I have.....

Your mix
Semi auto Shotgun, plugged I assume. So 1 in chamber 2 in the tube. I would want a side saddle for reloading (or speed loader). Keep a box or 2 of bigger shot and/or slugs

357 mag revolver 6 rounds , reloading can be fast with moon clips or speed loader and spare 6 (or 12) handy would be nice. I'd have 50 or so hollow points on hand just in case. FMJ is not for self defense.

30-06 bolt really only useful outside (or through window). Have what ever use for hunting handy. Not sure I'd have loaded unless I was expecting someone. Still would have a couple of boxes of ammo.

I'm a backups have backups kinda guy in everything. meaning I have at least 2 of everything I use, if not more. Like multiple tractors, chainsaws, mowers, etc.

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #26  
I have several rounds on hand for all my guns but if the police and/or D.A. ask how many were for home defense my answer will be none. I don't have gun(s) and amo staged to confront another human but I do keep some handy in case I need them quickly to dispatch an animal. No sir,I wasn't lying in wait I acted on impulse out of fright and self preservation. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #27  

zero, zero and zero rounds. The odds of an armed break-in are less than 1 percent. Most armed invasions are are committed by someone the owner knows and usually happen during the day when no one is home.

if by chance your house is chosen and gun play happens, it will be over in seconds. If by chance you have a gun in your hands when it happens, pray it isn't plain clothed cops with the wrong address.

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #28  
You don't want to know what I have.....

Your mix
Semi auto Shotgun, plugged I assume. So 1 in chamber 2 in the tube. I would want a side saddle for reloading (or speed loader). Keep a box or 2 of bigger shot and/or slugs

357 mag revolver 6 rounds , reloading can be fast with moon clips or speed loader and spare 6 (or 12) handy would be nice. I'd have 50 or so hollow points on hand just in case. FMJ is not for self defense.

30-06 bolt really only useful outside (or through window). Have what ever use for hunting handy. Not sure I'd have loaded unless I was expecting someone. Still would have a couple of boxes of ammo.

I'm a backups have backups kinda guy in everything. meaning I have at least 2 of everything I use, if not more. Like multiple tractors, chainsaws, mowers, etc.
My .357 is usually loaded with snakeshot. For shooting snakes. And during big game hunts, with hollow points for a backup gun. My .270 when not hunting game is ready for stray coyotes and lions. My 12 gauge for quail hunting. And my CCW 9 mm for two legged troublemakers.

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #29  

Like how many cases of ammo in the cabinet? Or like your home defense weapon round capacity?

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #30  
Ok, level 2 question.

I have 1 shotgun, 1 rifle and 1 handgun. How many rounds of ammo for each should I have on hand for home defense? And “as many as I can afford” is not a valid answer.
I have 300 rounds for my shotguns, 2000 rounds for my hand guns, and 6000 rounds for my AR's.
I keep 10 15 round mags ea. loaded for my hand guns, and 15 40 round mags. loaded for my AR.
I'm sure others keep more than I. I know people that do