Can you believe this story?

/ Can you believe this story? #61  
You just asked the question which nobody else has addressed. Have you ever considered a career as a lawyer? :LOL::cool::D:giggle:😝
Yeah, I did. After 20 years as a farm hand, construction worker, asst. grocery store manager, house painter and a research chemist, I decided to give it a fling...working for the government.

I just re-read the article and this time I read all of the comments. The comments are pretty much in the ball park, especially the one from the car dealer...and this is NOTHING like the McDonald's hot coffee case. Nobody asked me, but I'll tell you why. McDonald's had been cited several times in violation of Health Department regulations for keeping their coffee dangerously hot. You violate a safety law, someone gets hurt, you're at fault.

/ Can you believe this story? #62  
That old woman that was burned from McD coffee never did fully recover either. They were very bad burns.

/ Can you believe this story? #63  
Paa as7. DEATH BENEFITS
Are death claims treated the same as disability claims?
Generally, the same principles apply to death cases. The issues discussed in Chapter 4 above regarding when and where workers are covered by workers' compensation apply to death cases. In general, the question of causation is treated the same in death cases as in disability cases. A major difference is that in death cases there must be a dependent in order to receive wage loss benefits. It sometimes happens that a childless, unmarried worker is killed on the job leaving no dependents. In that case, his or her estate receives a burial allowance of up to $6,000 but nothing else.
Who are considered "dependents" of the deceased worker?
Children of a deceased worker are conclusively presumed to have been dependent upon the worker. All other individuals including a spouse must prove that they were, in fact, dependents of the deceased worker. If they were only partially dependent upon the worker, this will reduce the amount of benefits that they can receive.
What is the rate of death benefits?
Generally speaking, the amount of benefits is 80 percent of the after-tax value of the wages the worker was receiving at the time he or she was injured.
Section 356(2) provides for a minimum benefit rate in death cases. The rate is 50 percent of the state average weekly wage as of the date of injury. This is one of the few circumstances in which a benefit rate can actually be higher than 80 percent of the after-tax value of the injured worker's earnings. The calculation of the average weekly wage is discussed more fully in Chapter 9.
Coordination of benefits discussed in Chapter 9 does not apply to death cases. How long are death benefits paid?
Except in the case of minor children, death benefits are paid for a total of 500 weeks. If disability benefits were paid before the worker died, the 500 weeks are reduced accordingly. Assume John Doe contracted silicosis while working in a foundry. Assume that he was disabled and paid disability benefits for 200 weeks at which time he died. His widow would be entitled to 300 weeks of death benefits (500 less 200 weeks of disability benefits).
If there is a dependent child, benefits continue for a longer period of time. If the child is physically or mentally incapacitated, benefits can continue indefinitely.
Yeah, I did. After 20 years as a farm hand, construction worker, asst. grocery store manager, house painter and a research chemist, I decided to give it a fling...working for the government.
I hope that you know I was being facetious. Aside from the fact you mentioned it earlier, anybody who has been here as long as I have should pick up on that. Therefore I will defer to your expertise... I posted above what Michigan WC provides by law, in the case of an on the job death. It does seem rather Germaine to this discussion.
Ruffdog:That old woman that was burned from McD coffee never did fully recover either. They were very bad burns.

I was going to point it out but you beat me to it. Also, she originally had asked for help with the hospital bills. When the McD management said “No” she was forced to hire a lawyer. The rest, as they say, is history.

Last edited:
   / Can you believe this story? #64  
I was going to point it out but you beat me to it. Also, she originally had asked for help with the hospital bills. When the McD management said “No” she was forced to hire a lawyer. The rest, as they say, is history.
Yeah, I figured you were pulling my leg. I've been retired a long time, and am more than a bit rusty though. Even so, I still think it may be a fake story; it just seems ridiculous to me.

/ Can you believe this story? #65  
There are so many legal levels that this case could be taken ..civil, criminal, WCB, negligence etc and there are different defendants. Insurance claims at several levels could also be a part if this. The main thing would be compensation for the victim's family. I doubt that anything would stick regarding the vehicle owner ... unless there were significant unauthorized modifications that played into it.