re-setting a torsion axle

/ re-setting a torsion axle #1  

Renze

Elite Member
Tractor
Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718
My father took a small road, when bringing one of the mares back from the Vet for pregnancy checkup.
He took the corner too tight when taking a right hand turn onto a small, pre-fab concrete bridge over a stream, and hit the side edge of the bridge with the right front wheel of the trailer.

After it ate 1 tire completely (wire was coming out and tire burst !) he bought a brand new tire/rim because he needed to bring another mare to the stallion. Its spring time, and the ladies just dont wait till we get our trailers fixed :)

The swing arm of the front axle was bent, setting the right front wheel roughly 7ï½° out of line with the rest of the tandem.

I tied a chain over the axle, to prevent pulling the swing arm out of the main axle body. its only 4 strings of rubber holding the wheel in place, sideways, and they do that pretty nice when the suspension is loaded.

Then i used a piece of C-channel, so i could pull from the axle stub, instead of pulling on the edge of the brake anchor plate, which will most probably bend it and seize the brake.

It stopped the 5245 in low gear 4wd making black spots on the pavement. I backed up and jammed it a bit, setting it back all at once.
It toes in a little now, but i assume the rolling resistance of the tire will pull this perfectly straight on the road.

I made a picture of the C-channel i used, because it was completely tordated afterwards... At least its cheaper than a new 1 ton brake axle (350 Euro for me, 500 euro for end-users)

I did get it near perfect in direction of travel, though the tire still leans in a bit...
The last half degree of misalignment maybe wears the brand new tire, in the time that the other 3 (currently at 40% thread) are worn too...
My dad wants to buy a new one within 3 years anyway, so it will last its time.

Oh, and notice the rust chipping off the silo pole where the chain was attached: I'm glad we sold the pigs because therefor the silo is no longer in use ;)

p.s. the black spot in the silo pole, indeed, is a HOLE ! :p I'm glad i didnt pull the darn thing over :p

Attachments

• Afb006.jpg
    Afb006.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 214
  • Afb007.jpg
    Afb007.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 196
  • Afb008.jpg
    Afb008.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 170
  • Afb009.jpg
    Afb009.jpg