Re-powered Terramite

/ Re-powered Terramite #1  

watersteps

Tractor
David Bradley 917.5121 Terramite T5C
Anyone tried a re-power project on their T5C? Mine runs OK but it seems to be a little short on power. 1999 with 1800 hours. I was thinking about a V4 air cooled engine. I only have mine for 3 days now and it runs OK but it does bog down when pushing deep snow. I was really more worried about over powering it and hurting the trans and hyd pumps.

/ Re-powered Terramite
I just picked up a 40 hp (37hp) Kohler CH-1000, used with a noise inside. Motor still has compression and I can turn it over by hand. I plane on starting a teardown soon and I will provide pictures as I proceed. Later.

/ Re-powered Terramite #4  
I just picked up a 40 hp (37hp) Kohler CH-1000, used with a noise inside. Motor still has compression and I can turn it over by hand. I plane on starting a teardown soon and I will provide pictures as I proceed. Later.
Well... how's this project going?

/ Re-powered Terramite
Well thanks for asking. I recently moved to a small farm with a 30 by 60 barn. I am in the process of building shelves and un-boxing all my equipment. Taking a lot of time. I have the 40hp sitting on a rolling dolly next to my tool boxes. I should be able to put it on the work table later this week. I will start taking pictures at that time. I can't wait to start taking it apart.
I have to split my time between "honey do" projects and my mowing tractors and a Polaris 4 wheeler.

/ Re-powered Terramite
Well here we go, got the CH1000, 40hp Kohler up on the tear down table today. I looked over, everything seems to look ok, it turns over ok by hand. I can feel and hear compression, no noise or tight spots. Oil is down to 2 or 3 drops and black. Sparkplugs look great, nice chocolate brown.
I started taking it apart and found out that it must have come off of a saw mill, saw dust packed everywhere. From the condition of the bolt heads it was apart before. At this point I noticed that the rocker arms are tight on all valves but #2 exhaust, it has a little play in it. I have to check and see if this motor has hydraulic lifters. Piston tops look very clean looking through the plug hole.
Now while I was removing the plastic shrouds I found a piece the shroud broken and pushed out from the flywheel area. See pictures, I can not find any damage to the flywheel.
When I get a chance I will take more of the engine apart and post pic's.

Attachments

• DSCN8537.JPG
    DSCN8537.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 192
  • DSCN8538.JPG
    DSCN8538.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 193
  • DSCN8539.JPG
    DSCN8539.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 191
  • DSCN8540.JPG
    DSCN8540.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 195
  • DSCN8543.JPG
    DSCN8543.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 272
  • DSCN8544.JPG
    DSCN8544.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 179
  • DSCN8545.JPG
    DSCN8545.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 173
  • DSCN8546.JPG
    DSCN8546.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 218
  • DSCN8547.JPG
    DSCN8547.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 178
  • DSCN8548.JPG
    DSCN8548.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 165
   / Re-powered Terramite
Ok next step. I removed the plastic and metal shrouds and cooling tin from the motor. Next was the carb and oil filter mount. Then the intake and the heads. Now I see a problem, both pistons have eyebrow marks on the heads from the valve hitting the piston. Both heads show very little marks on the valves. Ok that means one thing cam gear is broken and or out of time. Why?
The next thing to remove is the crankcase cover. Bolts come out easy but, the cover does not want to slide off the crank. After a little prying with wooden strips the cover comes off.
Well the first thing I see is the crankshaft bearing surface is dis-colored. The inside of the cover shows me that it was very hot around the bronze bearing insert. Next the timing gear is missing teeth (that is why it is out of time)
and somewhat melted. The Crank gear has also been hot and has oil burned on to it. The cover seal for the crank is also melted.
Well it looks like the engine was run low on oil or the oil passage was blocked to the crank. The bronze bearing or bushing got hot and cooked the crank seal and started melting the timing gear.
I will mic the crank to see if it is damaged in any way. The bushing did not spin in the cover so that should just need to be replaced. The valves will have to come out and be checked for being bent.
Now I have to take everything apart and clean it up.

surface

Attachments

• DSCN8549.JPG
    DSCN8549.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 189
  • DSCN8550.JPG
    DSCN8550.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 201
  • DSCN8552.JPG
    DSCN8552.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 164
  • DSCN8553.JPG
    DSCN8553.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 158
  • DSCN8556.JPG
    DSCN8556.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 178
  • DSCN8557.JPG
    DSCN8557.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 173
  • DSCN8558.JPG
    DSCN8558.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 170
  • DSCN8559.JPG
    DSCN8559.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 188
  • DSCN8560.JPG
    DSCN8560.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 193
   / Re-powered Terramite
Ok, I spent several hours taking everything apart and checking for problems. The crankshaft bearing on the pto side has been overheated due to lack of oil. The crankshaft looks to be in very good condition, I will mic it and make sure. The bearing will have to be replaced, the crankcase cover bore where the bearing is installed looks like there was a previous problem with the bearing. Case appears to be ok for a new bearing. Cam gear that was damaged is going to be hard to replace. Looks like I may have to buy a cam and gear together.
While I was checking out the crankcase I found a small piece of magnet stuck to a screw on the flywheel side of the block. The magnet came from the inside of a flywheel but, the flywheel that is with this engine has all the magnets in place and no broken ones. Looks like someone tried to pull the flywheel and broke it and punched the hole in the plastic shroud that I mentioned before.
Cylinders look good and pistons are of standard size, so I will just hone in a good cross hatch and put new rings in.
More info later.

/ Re-powered Terramite
Well that repower idea just went up in smoke! There are no crankshaft bearings or cam shaft and gear assembly's available. New or used. So I will now try to sell all of the good parts and get some of my money back. Thanks for watching this post, and I will just use my 20HP Kohler until something goes bad.

/ Re-powered Terramite #10  
A 24hp Kubota would be a great fit...