rattleing engine

/ rattleing engine #1  

perly

Tractor
2016 Branson 4520
Hi, new, not new to forum, it's been awhile, i guess all my log in stuff got deleted. i have a Branson 4520r, i bought new in 2016, to date i havn't had a single problem with it. and i guess i still don't. but ever since it was new, when i start it up cold, it starts right up but it stumbles and sounds terrible for a few seconds. then smooths out. but the engine rattles somthing awful, and it never stops. nobody i knows tractor sounds like that, and it's pissing me off. i'm thinking it's a lean issue, or a timing thing. anybody have the same issues ? would sure like to get this resolved once and for all. just got done changing the fluids, and filters, and decided to remove that god awfull fowl smelling can, and install a muffler. i just test drove it. didn't seem to change anything except now it smells like a diesel engine. now i need to get it to sound like one. imput would be greatly appreciated. thanks, TIC.

/ rattleing engine #2  
This may sound simplistic, but are you sure that the rattling sound is not from something that is just lose somewhere?

does the rattle change with the rpm's or tractor movement?

can you pinpoint more precisely where the rattling is coming from if you walk around it, etc while it's idling?

/ rattleing engine #3  
Diesels all rattle, some more, some less. it's the sound of compression ignition. The higher the base compression ratio is, the more pronounced the 'rattle' is.

/ rattleing engine
i have a distant neighbor with a 3520R 3 cylinder, nice tight sounding engine. not mine, start up is rough, all that internal mechanical noise, been waiting for warranty to expire, i'm gonna keep digging till i can come across a good diesel mechanic that knows his stuff, there are a lot of adjustments that can be made to smooth things out. been working on gas engines since i was 10, but not so much on diesel, i know my limitations, so i'm not messing around till i can get some reliable solid info.

/ rattleing engine #5  
Check to see the exhaust mount is not broken towards the end where it attaches to the frame

/ rattleing engine
This may sound simplistic, but are you sure that the rattling sound is not from something that is just lose somewhere?

does the rattle change with the rpm's or tractor movement?

can you pinpoint more precisely where the rattling is coming from if you walk around it, etc while it's idling?
it's the internals of the engine, ive heard it on other diesel engines in the past, you know when you put the wrong octane in your car, and you pull a hill and it starts rattleing, and they call it diesel ing. thats the noise, i'm sure it can be solved by making adjutments. i don't have enough knowledge on the subject yet, to go messing around with adjustments yet, but i'll keep digging.

/ rattleing engine #7  
Any chances of sharing a video so we get a better idea of the noises going on?

/ rattleing engine #8  
I have a 3620r and it has a rattle sounding like a box of loose bolts/nuts when rpm is greater than 2000. Sounds fine at idle and doesn't change while depressing the clutch. Has done it since new. Different oil grades make no difference. Doesn't burn oil, valve clearance is within spec, and otherwise functions normal so I'm going to run it.

/ rattleing engine #9  
I have a 3620r and it has a rattle sounding like a box of loose bolts/nuts when rpm is greater than 2000. Sounds fine at idle and doesn't change while depressing the clutch. Has done it since new. Different oil grades make no difference. Doesn't burn oil, valve clearance is within spec, and otherwise functions normal so I'm going to run it.
That's seems to be pretty common for the A1700 engine. Some people notice, others swear theirs won't do it but I believe all A1700 engines does it. The noise does go away under load, which makes me wonder if it's just something on the governor inside the injection pump.

Mine does the same and also the clutch makes some noise sometimes but so far, so good.

In this case, the OP has a 4520 which should have the 4 cylinder A2000 or A2300 engine. I don't think those engines make the same rattle noise of the A1700.

/ rattleing engine
the more i look into it, the more i'm convinced it's a timing issue. it's not just the rattle, but when i start it cold it coughs, sputers into life, and puts out white smoke, for a few seconds, then smooths out. has done that since the the day it was brand new. when it's warmed up, it starts right smooth. but the rattle is always there. at every rpm.