RAM 4 year , 50K mile review

/ RAM 4 year , 50K mile review #11  
I have half your miles on a '17 3500 C&C, only used for towing.

The only issue so far was completely self inflicted. Supposedly '16s and older can use a lot of distilled water in the DEF, and '18s and up will only tolerate so much.

Well, nobody seemed to know about '17s so I tried putting the "safe amount" in mine. Didn't work. But in the process I learned to disregard the 150-mile countdown to limp mode.

That's it. No other issues of any kind. Okay, a few recalls, but I've either ignored them or fixed things myself.

/ RAM 4 year , 50K mile review #12  
I've had two. The first was a 2004 2500. No problems with the engine at all but I traded it off for a 2004 dually because I have a heavy cabover camper. The difference in stability, hauling a tall heavy camper, on a dually versus single rear wheel, is remarkable. Only problem I've had with the 2004 dually is that I had to put in a new water pump at about 65,000 miles. But on a Cummins that's a 15 minute job. Leave these engines stock and they will last a lifetime.

In retrospect I should have kept the 2500 in addition to the 3500. The dually has the camper mounted on it most of the time so its a bother when I just need to haul or tow something. I love driving these diesels - it is such a pleasure with all that torque. Hills/mountain passes, where a gas engine has to scream at 4000+ rpm, are effortless with the Cummins. Fuel mileage when empty/not towing is 18-19 mpg. Loaded with the camper and towing a trailer with a Jeep Wrangler on it (about 16,000 lbs total) the dually still gets 13-14 mpg. I hope to be driving this truck the rest of my life.

It's not just the emissions systems that are problems on the newer trucks. From my reading on the forums the electronics the new trucks come with are more of a problem than the emissions systems.
A couple years ago I purchased a 2004 5.9 2500 with 150,000. It's in real good condition and it's been fantastic. I never owned a diesel before this. It runs clean, sounds great. I change the oil, and fuel filter about once a year and the transmission and differential every couple years.
I had knocked off the bumper valance when I first got it and thought I wouldn't worry about it. I watched a video on it and then replaced it to get about 3 more MPG. I'll get about 23 highway with it. When towing it ranges from 7 MPG with my 32 ft Montana fifth wheel at 70 MPH (11 at 55MPH), 15 towing my RK 25 with backhoe, and about 17 with just the tractor. I really don't see a reason to upgrade to something with a lot more complexities.

/ RAM 4 year , 50K mile review
The fuel mileage has been very good. I have to sometimes remind myself the first 25K miles was a break-in period, so I expect it to improve even more.
IMO, because of the in-line six engine configuration, this is the best overall trailer pulling truck there is when the loads are constantly heavy.

/ RAM 4 year , 50K mile review #14  
Yes, but that was done via a national campaign. It didn’t fail. I guess I could have included that, but my truck was running perfectly on the CP4. Also, other brands have the CP4.

:)

/ RAM 4 year , 50K mile review #15  
Good to hear about your experiences Hay Dude. I bought my Ram Power Wagon - brand new in 2019. I only use it for fun. No heavy hauling or towing. Just plain 'ol fun vehicle. I have 31K miles on it and get 16.7 mpg.

So far no problems. I just wish the mice and chipmunks didn't like it so much also. I think I've found a cure though. I park it out in the yard and always keep the hood open. Same with all my other vehicles - tractor, ATV and riding lawn mower. It has become obvious - the tiny critters do not like open spaces.

I control the truck interior with lots of stinky dryer sheets and many bars of Irish Spring soap.

I now knock on wood...............