RAM 4 year , 50K mile review

/ RAM 4 year , 50K mile review #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Thought I’d post a review on first 4 years & 50,000 miles of ownership on my 2020 RAM 5500 cab & chassis w/ Cummins engine.

So far, I’ve had few issues. The 3 that were notable were:

1. Steering wheel heat failed. I didnt want a heated steering wheel. The truck came with it. It failed in the 3rd year of ownership. It was replaced with a new leather wrapped steering wheel under warranty.

2. DPF tank level gauge failed in 2nd year. The readout on the dash was “E” all the time. Turns out theres a sensor built into the tank that wasn’t reading anymore. It was replaced with a new sensor under warranty.

3. Right side front wheel hub bearing failed. The right side spindle began clicking. This one may have been my fault. I drove truck through some deep water. Nobody knows. It was replaced under warranty.

Those are the 3 failed components in 4 years. Everything else still looks & works excellent. Once in a while, the center stack display in the middle of the dash will go off for 1 second then come back on.

Truck ownership experience: I’d give it an ”A” so far like a low 90’s out of 100. The truck was purchased brand new to pull a heavy trailer and carry all my necessary tools. Does an excellent job of this. Even the de-rated chassis & cab Cummins pulls better than anything previously owned or I expected from this truck. The truck has been asked to do above and beyond its rated capability hundreds of times. In extreme overlaoding situations, the transmission has a slight shutter between 1st & 2nd gear, but only when well overloaded (pulling trailer off road through bumpy soil).

The fit & finish has held up VERY well. It’s a comfortable strong truck meant for heavy duty use, but still retains a comfort & ease of operation.

I’m very pleased and would highly recommend RAM/Cummins/Aisin to anyone.

/ RAM 4 year , 50K mile review #2  
Thanks for the review. Once I pay off a few things, I need to buy a bigger truck with a diesel engine and duel rear wheels. I go back and forth between buying new or used. If I buy used, I go back and forth between buying a Dodge 5.9 and rebuilding it, or something a lot newer with very low miles for a decent price. My biggest fear is DEF and electronics failing, which means I need a warrantee. My mechanic keeps telling me to avoid anything new because of how expensive it is to replace stuff on them. He wont work on them, so that's another concern to find somebody that does. I've heard horror stories of ten and fifteen thousand dollar repairs to the exhaust system that convince me to stick with the older 5.9 engines.

Did you have have a 5.9 Dodge? If so, how was it?

/ RAM 4 year , 50K mile review #3  
I'm curious on why you chose a 5500 over a class 6 or class 7 truck. Big pickup vs smaller big truck. I have looked in the past and the used market for the medium duty trucks seems to be more affordable than the heavy duty pickup trucks in a lot of cases.

/ RAM 4 year , 50K mile review #4  

I've had two. The first was a 2004 2500. No problems with the engine at all but I traded it off for a 2004 dually because I have a heavy cabover camper. The difference in stability, hauling a tall heavy camper, on a dually versus single rear wheel, is remarkable. Only problem I've had with the 2004 dually is that I had to put in a new water pump at about 65,000 miles. But on a Cummins that's a 15 minute job. Leave these engines stock and they will last a lifetime.

In retrospect I should have kept the 2500 in addition to the 3500. The dually has the camper mounted on it most of the time so its a bother when I just need to haul or tow something. I love driving these diesels - it is such a pleasure with all that torque. Hills/mountain passes, where a gas engine has to scream at 4000+ rpm, are effortless with the Cummins. Fuel mileage when empty/not towing is 18-19 mpg. Loaded with the camper and towing a trailer with a Jeep Wrangler on it (about 16,000 lbs total) the dually still gets 13-14 mpg. I hope to be driving this truck the rest of my life.

It's not just the emissions systems that are problems on the newer trucks. From my reading on the forums the electronics the new trucks come with are more of a problem than the emissions systems.

/ RAM 4 year , 50K mile review #5  
Didn't you replace the CP4 to a CP3?

:censored:

/ RAM 4 year , 50K mile review #6  
Thanks for the review. Once I pay off a few things, I need to buy a bigger truck with a diesel engine and duel rear wheels. I go back and forth between buying new or used. If I buy used, I go back and forth between buying a Dodge 5.9 and rebuilding it, or something a lot newer with very low miles for a decent price. My biggest fear is DEF and electronics failing, which means I need a warrantee. My mechanic keeps telling me to avoid anything new because of how expensive it is to replace stuff on them. He wont work on them, so that's another concern to find somebody that does. I've heard horror stories of ten and fifteen thousand dollar repairs to the exhaust system that convince me to stick with the older 5.9 engines.

Eddie I had a 2004 with a 5.9 Cummins that I bought used with 100,000 mikes on it and I put 50,000 miles on. I fought rust on it is why I sold it, losing battle.

Id say the truck was good but they have come so far with the newer ones I’d have a hard time going back. For example terrible door seals, a lot of wind noise, and terrible headlights. I also had a bad vibration at about 65 mph that I chased and never fixed, a common complaint. There are some things you can do to correct some of those things. I never had any trouble with the drivetrain and just did normal maintenance. A good solid engine, I probably averaged 16 mpg mixed driving and occasional towing. Nice used ones bring top dollar.
IMG_0060.jpeg

/ RAM 4 year , 50K mile review
I'm curious on why you chose a 5500 over a class 6 or class 7 truck. Big pickup vs smaller big truck. I have looked in the past and the used market for the medium duty trucks seems to be more affordable than the heavy duty pickup trucks in a lot of cases.
Several reasons.

1. It fits in my garage
2. 4WD traction
3. I can use it for smaller jobs
4. My son can drive it
5. It it low enough off the ground to pull valuable tools like chain saws, weed wackers & battery powered tools from without climbing up and down cab steps.
6. Crew cab for occasional passenger use.

I also have a class 8 truck.

Last edited:
Didn't you replace the CP4 to a CP3?

:censored:
Yes, but that was done via a national campaign. It didn’t fail. I guess I could have included that, but my truck was running perfectly on the CP4. Also, other brands have the CP4.

Last edited:
   / RAM 4 year , 50K mile review #9  
I have a ram 2500 HD Laramie with 22 thousand miles on it, I only put 2 thousand miles on it this year.
I'm happy with it, HOWEVER the service brake light comes on for 3 minutes when I first start it up and drive, then it goes out.
Other than that I'm getting 16mpg.
So far I'm happy with it :)

Last edited:
Might be time to purge/change your brake fluid?