R14 replacement for 13.6x24

/ R14 replacement for 13.6x24 #21  
Just trying to show that the first number is NOT rim width and different width tires will fit on the same rim. Of course you need to match rolling circumference for 4x4 and if you want a speedometer to accurate.
1676490277758.png

/ R14 replacement for 13.6x24 #23  
Tires will fit on different width wheels - but that will change the rolling circumference dramatically. The width used in the tech spec is the one specified on the tire.

/ R14 replacement for 13.6x24 #24  
I believe it is 12.4 inches measured inside to inside at the outer radial face of the sealing area.
I'm sorry rScotty, that is not correct. The 12.4 equals tread width of the tire. Has nothing at all to do with rim width.

/ R14 replacement for 13.6x24 #25  
I'm sorry rScotty, that is not correct. The 12.4 equals tread width of the tire. Has nothing at all to do with rim width.
Well, I just heard back from a guy I trust. He used to have many warehouses full of tires and wheels and would deal in odd combos.

He said we are both wrong - but both of us were once right - back before the days of super wide and low profile tires changed the way tires are rated. He says that now that number is not tread or wheels, what is important now is clearance. And that number is most often the maximum width of the tire looked at in cross section. It comes closer to tread width than to tire width now - especially on tires that have flexible sidewalls and low profile. But it isn't either tread nor wheel. . It is max tire width and usually about halfway from wheel to tread.
sorry for the out of date info.
rScotty

/ R14 replacement for 13.6x24 #26  
Well, I just heard back from a guy I trust. He used to have many warehouses full of tires and wheels and would deal in odd combos.

He said we are both wrong - but both of us were once right - back before the days of super wide and low profile tires changed the way tires are rated. He says that now that number is not tread or wheels, what is important now is clearance. And that number is most often the maximum width of the tire looked at in cross section. It comes closer to tread width than to tire width now - especially on tires that have flexible sidewalls and low profile. But it isn't either tread nor wheel. . It is max tire width and usually about halfway from wheel to tread.
sorry for the out of date info.
rScotty
Well,,,,, for sure it's not rim width. That's what's important. How the standard width of the tire is determined can be debated endlessly. People just need to understand that number has nothing to do with rim width. :)

/ R14 replacement for 13.6x24 #28  
Hello,
I'm looking at a massey fergusion 1735M with 13.6x24 ag tires and wondering what size R14 might fit. Tractor data list different options but do they all use the same 24 inch rim?

Tractordata lists:
- 12.4x24 AG --> 320/85R24
- 13.6.x24 AG --> 340/85R24
- 17.5L-24 R4

Can't find a good explanation the first number. One site says it is the thickness of the tire from the ground to the rim. Other says it's the width.

thanks
The most important thing when replacing (rear only) tires on a 4WD veh (car, truck or tractor) is keeping the front to rear circumference ratio the same. Wider (esp rears) is usually better (the first number in the tire size notation, and inmaterial to this discussion), but if the replacement is not the same height/circumference, the 4WD will be in a bind.

Lots of good info and choices here (and elsewhere too):

Last edited: