quick battery question

/ quick battery question #1  

big bubba

Elite Member
Tractor
M8540
will a discharged battery freeze in the extreme cold? thinking of my zero turn battery & other smaller ones. good reason alone for tender, etc
hoping everyone is able to stay warm, & warm thoughts to those who may be without power/water. batteries are replaceable..... thx in advance

/ quick battery question #2  
Quick answer is Yes. Found this online: All batteries can freeze in cold temperatures. However, you can prevent your battery from freezing by ensuring that it is always fully charged during winter. If you use the battery sporadically and leave it to discharge during this season, its electrolytes will begin to change from acid to water as the voltage depletes.

/ quick battery question #3  
Dead battery makes a frozen lump. Sometimes the freezing distorts the plates, rendering the battery useless. Other times you get lucky, thaw in a pan of warm water, recharge slowly and good to go. The older the batt, the less chance of coming back from the dead. Working in a Ford dealer years ago, we never bought batteries. Salesman would leave interior light on a new car, batt would discharge and freeze. Warranty would provide a new one. Techs would revive the dead and use them for years.

/ quick battery question #4  
The battery of my small engines that I don't use during winter (lawn tractor, boat) are brought inside. Those that I use during winter (ATVs and CUT) are on a battery tender.

/ quick battery question
thanks on the info. looks like i'll be taking smaller batteries inside on a tender. thx again, & thoughts go out to those suffering in the cold

/ quick battery question #6  
About 10 years ago ford tractor was slow to crank in the winter. Attached battery charger and set it for 2 amp rate. Next morning, switched to battery boost, started to crank engine, had spark on battery clamp. WOW batteries sure are loud when they explode. Tossed all the parts onto old 5 gal bucket for exchange credit on a new battery.

/ quick battery question #8  
Many years ago I lost a discharged battery to the cold. It ruptured and what battery acid was not frozen ran everywhere and created a real mess.