Question on vehicles timing belt

/ Question on vehicles timing belt #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Exactly how imperative is it to get the timing belt replaced in a vehicle?

We always buy used, and I generally always do the timing belt when the vehicle hit's 100K.

Long story, but we loaned a car to a family member kind of indefinately.

2001 Honda Accord, bought with 91K on it, one owner vehicle we bought a couple of years ago.

Car actually had the timing belt changed at 66K done in 2013 along with the wather pump which seems early, but it really was a older lady who only drove it for work and it was proably an age issue (car was 13 years old when it was done) before an actual mileage issue (hitting 100K).

Vehicle now has 126K on it and it's 23 years old.

Thing is, right now the car is about 2 hours away from us.

Is worrying about the timing belt a myth? Reality is even though it's only had 60k on it since the timing belt has been changed, it's also 11 years since the belt has been changed.

I'd like to be proactive instead of reactive if that makes sense. That said, I could be worrying over nothing.

/ Question on vehicles timing belt #2  
Exactly how imperative is it to get the timing belt replaced in a vehicle?

We always buy used, and I generally always do the timing belt when the vehicle hit's 100K.

Long story, but we loaned a car to a family member kind of indefinately.

2001 Honda Accord, bought with 91K on it, one owner vehicle we bought a couple of years ago.

Car actually had the timing belt changed at 66K done in 2013 along with the wather pump which seems early, but it really was a older lady who only drove it for work and it was proably an age issue (car was 13 years old when it was done) before an actual mileage issue (hitting 100K).

Vehicle now has 126K on it and it's 23 years old.

Thing is, right now the car is about 2 hours away from us.

Is worrying about the timing belt a myth? Reality is even though it's only had 60k on it since the timing belt has been changed, it's also 11 years since the belt has been changed.

I'd like to be proactive instead of reactive if that makes sense. That said, I could be worrying over nothing.
I thought 60 or 70 was the recommended interval. My understanding is the water pump is recommended at the same time, as it is driven by the timing belt and if it goes the belt and engine go. I'm pretty sure that's an interference engine, so if the belt goes you're out an engine.

/ Question on vehicles timing belt #3  
It depends on the vehicle. And, I think what they call an "Interference Engine".

If you have an Interference Engine, then when the timing belt breaks, then you get massive damage throughout the engine.

If you don't have an Interference Engine, then you may not get any engine damage from a broken belt, and you could simply install a new belt and be on your way.

Ok, looking up the older Honda Accord, and it appears to be an interference engine. So, if you do break the timing belt, that may well be the end of the car.

On the other hand, I had an older Ford Ranger 4 cylinder, and apparently it wasn't an interference engine. So a broken timing belt, and the engine could be repaired for just about the same cost as doing preventative maintenance, other than it happening at the most inconvenient time.

I can't say about Honda's belt quality. I have an acquaintance that loves Hondas with 200,000+ miles, and I don't know how proactive they are with maintenance. Some may get the maintenance, some might not.

/ Question on vehicles timing belt #5  
@CliffordK hit the nail on the head. It is a catastrophic failure if the timing belt fails in an interference engine.

If it were me, 60k miles is early, but a decade isn't too early. So, to be proactive, I would change it.

All the best,

Peter

/ Question on vehicles timing belt #6  
Generally speaking, if it’s a Honda, it’s interference engine and if it breaks, you’ll almost surely trash an engine. Back in the early 80s those Hondas wanted changed around 80,000 miles. Sometime later they went to a lightweight belt and lowered the requirement to 60K I think. I wouldn’t sweat too much going and picking one up and driving it home so I would get it changed soon.
The reason I say that is that I had one snap on me and an 88 Honda CRX right about at their 80,000 at the time limit. I was just tooling down the road 80 miles an hour with no load on it whatsoever and when it popped, I hit the clutch would saved the engine. Much of that was pure luck, but I sure noticed that that was an OEM belt and it was in perfect shape and not been abused / raced when it snapped.

About 12 years ago I knew a guy who just picked a Chevy up with one of those type engines. It had 200,000 on it but the belt had been changed at 100. He drove it for about three days going to work the belt snapped and trashed the engine. So if you don’t wanna go around, thinking about this worrying just bring it home get it taken care of and make sure to write down the mileage that It was changed on the sticker and put it on the air cleaner.

/ Question on vehicles timing belt #7  
I’ve seen pictures of failure of timing chains and belts, it’s not pretty. The engine can be fixed but from a cost standpoint it’s not usually worth it. You just need to research that engine and get a feel for how often it’s really needed.

/ Question on vehicles timing belt #8  
I've repaired many vehicles, including my wife's Outback, after breaking a timing belt while driving. Usually, the only damage is a couple of bent valves and some marks that get blended into the top of the pistons.
Basically a head gasket job with some cylinder head repair cost added.
Patrick

/ Question on vehicles timing belt #9  
Yeah there is age in addition to the mileage. Sounds like a similar situation my my Mom's old 2003 Accord she gave me. I changed the timing belt (and water pump proactively) because it was old and not because of mileage. Honda engines are generally interference and so you do NOT want that to snap. OEM or Gates for a replacement for me. I actually waited longer than I should have but got lucky I guess.

/ Question on vehicles timing belt #10  
When I was young we had a Fiat 128 that broke the timing belt. Banged up valves and warped head. My dad tried to get it repaired, but ultimately the car would overheat and wasn't reliable so it was sold to a demolition derby, at least they said.

I had an 88 or 89 Ford Ranger 4 cylinder that broke the belt in the middle of Kansas while on a road trip. I ended up selling the ranger, but the person that bought it just put on a new belt and it continued driving. I am a bit annoyed that I didn't realize that it could be a relatively simple repair.

I bought a Toro Groundsmaster with a Peugeot 1.9 liter diesel. I've been dreading opening it up. However, like many diesel engines, a broken timing belt can't be a good thing. Some reports indicate to expect a broken cam shaft.

I wish the timing belts were made to be easily swapped rather than pulling off the water pump.