Putting in drain tile

/ Putting in drain tile #1  

jmyers8

Tractor
kubota 2360
Looking at adding some drain tile to our house before I put in the lawn. I need to have a few feeder lines and im trying to figure out how big of an area around a feeder will drain into so i know how far to space them out.

/ Putting in drain tile #2  
I would think that soil conditions/type, depth of burial, and many other factors could play into how far apart they can be spaced. Maybe some of the farmers on here could weigh in...hopefully some that have tiled fields.

/ Putting in drain tile
The ground has alot of clay but this is low lying area so I think the soil is a little better. I was planning on putting it around 24 inches and lining with gravel?

/ Putting in drain tile #4  
Here, laterals look to be 20' to 25' apart, tieing into a mainline in farm fields, but they don't use gravel. Gravel definitely helps. The closer to the surface, the quicker it will drain. But, also be aware in the summer when it gets dry, you may have streaks of dormant grass, from being too dry, if gravel is too close to the surface.

Personally, I put fabric over the gravel, to keep dirt from sifting down through the gravel. I get the premium landsacpe fabric, cut it to double the width of the trench, and fold, so there is a double layer of protection. I cut it with a large utility knife I got at Lowe's. I tried cutting it with radial,and table saw's, and it just melts the ends, and makes for a PIA to unroll.

Some insist on using regular geotech fabric for that job, but years ago, they just used straw. Dig it up 25 years later, and there isstill straw there. If the air can't get to it, thefabric will work fine. Last Fall I tied into an existing tile I put in 10 years ago. The fabric I used then, still looked like new.

/ Putting in drain tile
Thanks for the good info I was think about 30 ft so that should work good