Puma snowblower chain issue

/ Puma snowblower chain issue #1  

eyi

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800
Hi all,

All my fault, got a brand new chain, but had to adjust the binder at full in order for the chain to be under strong tension. Ok, then I tried to shorthen it, f...now it痴 one link too short !

What are my options ? Possible to have two removable links on the same chain ?

Tks for your time !

/ Puma snowblower chain issue #2  
Maybe a half link or you can have two master links.....:2cents:

/ Puma snowblower chain issue
Hum...googled the offset link. May well be what I need. They seem to say it’s weaker than a master link, it’s strong enough for my snowblower ?

TKS

/ Puma snowblower chain issue #5  
Offset links are widely used in chain drives on many types of equipment. If you need one to make the chain the correct length, get one. Diamond and Drives are two respected chain manufacturers.

/ Puma snowblower chain issue #6  
I fail to see how an offset link on roller chain is any weaker than normal coupler link. I've been utilizing offset links when required to attain correct chain length for 50 yrs on assorted pieces of farm implements.

/ Puma snowblower chain issue #7  
Maybe a half link or you can have two master links.....:2cents:

2 master coupler link can't/won't replace an offset link when an offset link is needed for correct chain length. The reason an offset link is often mistakenly referred to as a 1/2 link is to correctly utilize 1 offset link one MUST REMOVE 2 regular roller chain links(see photo below) to correctly shorten chain 1 link

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-26 052323.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-26 052323.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 40
   / Puma snowblower chain issue
2 master coupler link can't/won't replace an offset link when an offset link is needed for correct chain length. The reason an offset link is often mistakenly referred to as a 1/2 link is to correctly utilize 1 offset link one MUST REMOVE 2 regular roller chain links(see photo below) to correctly shorten chain 1 link

That痴 indeed what I unknowingly did

/ Puma snowblower chain issue #9  
A few times in my life I got lucky and found the proper chain tool could pull the two ends together when trying to do it any other way just did not work.

The tools come in different sizes depending upon the chain size.

Dave M7040

Attachments

• forum chain tool.jpg
    forum chain tool.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 46