pto snowblower size?

/ pto snowblower size? #31  
I never run chains. Have never needed chains on a 4WD tractor. Can't understand why they'd be needed on a driveway. The few times that I've gotten stuck was because I dropped a tire into a ditch or a hole -- chains wouldn't help. And I've always been able to use the loader to push or pull myself out of those situations.
I always run chains in the winter,
in my driveway with no chains you would not stop or get back up the hill.
A 2wd tractor with 4 link spaced V bar reinforced chains pulling a 9 or 10 foot back blade with the blade down will not stop just using the brakes.
You can blade snow with the clutch in on 80% of the driveway.
The loader bucket is the brake that will help stop you.

/ pto snowblower size? #32  
I'm from near Syracuse, NY. We've been known to get some blowing and drifting snow from time to time...

Currently using the only tractor snowblower we've ever owned, a Frontier 1164 on a John Deere 4600. 4WD, forward/reverse transmission, loaded industrial tires (that's what came on it), no chains. 64-inch working width, about the same as the tractor. 100 ft double-wide driveway at the house, longer and wider at the barn. Tractor has more than enough power to run the blower at full capacity. Yeah, we have to make more than one pass, but a blower that's too wide would limit maneuverability. Biggest thing is that we don't wait until it stops snowing to clear the driveway when a big storm is predicted. We'll clean it out as many times as necessary to get us out, or emergency vehicles in, as necessary.

Attachments

• PICT0334a.JPG
    PICT0334a.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 105
  • P3060033.JPG
    P3060033.JPG
    968.2 KB · Views: 103
   / pto snowblower size? #33  
I am looking to get a PTO snowblower and I'm trying to narrow down my choices. My initial thought was get basically as wide as I can power. I have a MF 4707, and I was thinking of the Erskine 925RM. This is a 90" width 35" height, should fit right its PTO range is 40-90hp.

I am wondering is there any reason I should be trying to slightly wider or narrower? I'm hoping people who have used these things can give some insights, I imagine wider means Ill have fewer issues with my tires hitting the sides as I turn and adjust the path of the tractor. Narrower I imagine you'll have fewer slow downs and potentially do each down and back faster? Maybe I should be looking to get a blower that is just over half the width of my driveway so that I can do 1 down and back as fast as possible?

If anyone has recommendations for size / brand / whatever I'm all ears. Like most stuff in the tractor game it seems to be hard to find reviews, or even opinions.

For reference Ill be blowing drifts that build over my driveway, so its fairly packed snow.
Where I live in Idaho the are 3 100hp plus NH tractors and they all run a Schulte snowblowers. There is not much that slows them bad boys down. It would be at least worth your time to look into a Schulte blower.

/ pto snowblower size?
I just thought of something. Should I consider the bucket as part of the tractor when it comes to width? The bucket is 84" so maybe I want a minimum of 84" snowblower?

/ pto snowblower size? #35  
I just thought of something. Should I consider the bucket as part of the tractor when it comes to width? The bucket is 84" so maybe I want a minimum of 84" snowblower?
I would, you need the bucket to fit through where you just blew or you'll need to blow with the bucket up.

/ pto snowblower size? #36  

You will normally carry the bucket higher than the snow anyways, otherwise the bucket cuts to the uncleared snow if you aren't blowing in a perfect straight line.

/ pto snowblower size?
I think I have it narrowed down to the meteor SB87 or the SB87D (dual auger variant)

I want originally looking at the Erskine 925RM, was told to consider the LOFTNESS, as there are a few factory direct leftovers (they no longer produce them), and looked into Pronovosts. The Prono and the Erskine are just so expensive, I think I can get the Meteor SB87 for 5k, the others are going to be double that. The LOFTNESS one I was looking at that fit my PTO was 72" and I think I'm set on getting one that's 80+ inches.

the MF4707 has numerous wheel width configurations but it seems like only the narrowest 2 would allow for a 72" blower. I just prefer be able to set my wheel width to likely the default (1533mm track width + 420mm tire width = 1953mm (76.8 inches).

Any last thoughts on the MK martin Meteor SB87 or SB87D? The iron is getting hot and I figure I want to pull the trigger sooner than later so I'm not in some situation come fall where I am waiting on an order to come in.

/ pto snowblower size? #38  
I would be sure to have clearance for tire chains when setting my tire spacing and then enough blower to cover my width plus a bit.
I realize that many people seem to get by without chains but I am well aware that I can not and I'd certainly want the option.

/ pto snowblower size? #39  
I think I have it narrowed down to the meteor SB87 or the SB87D (dual auger variant)

I want originally looking at the Erskine 925RM, was told to consider the LOFTNESS, as there are a few factory direct leftovers (they no longer produce them), and looked into Pronovosts. The Prono and the Erskine are just so expensive, I think I can get the Meteor SB87 for 5k, the others are going to be double that. The LOFTNESS one I was looking at that fit my PTO was 72" and I think I'm set on getting one that's 80+ inches.

the MF4707 has numerous wheel width configurations but it seems like only the narrowest 2 would allow for a 72" blower. I just prefer be able to set my wheel width to likely the default (1533mm track width + 420mm tire width = 1953mm (76.8 inches).

Any last thoughts on the MK martin Meteor SB87 or SB87D? The iron is getting hot and I figure I want to pull the trigger sooner than later so I'm not in some situation come fall where I am waiting on an order to come in.

I have zero regrets with SB78. No issues with MK Martin, I've used it several winters now. Only repair I made was to weld up the skid shoes, but I do a lot of blowing every storm.