PTO shaft yokes

/ PTO shaft yokes #1  

Notforhire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L47TLB
Why did the industry change from push button PTO yokes to the new style.
I'm referring to the ones that you need to pull the color back as you push in the opposite direction?

/ PTO shaft yokes #2  
I assume you meant to write 'collar' instead of "color", meaning the ring type.

I don't reckon that the industry hasn't changed so much as simply introduced a different style/type. Personally, I like the collar type but I have a few shafts with either type on them, both readily available where I'm at.

Are the push-button type disappearing in favour of the collar type by your observation?

/ PTO shaft yokes
The color typo is courtesy of the auto correct program.

My understanding is that safety regulations in Europe required the change to the collar style. ( that I hate)

What makes the new style safer?

/ PTO shaft yokes #6  
IMG_0522.JPG

This is what I have done to make it easier to hook up the ring types. Pulled back the ring and drilled a 1/8 hole. Insert a clip or whatever, install on tractor, pull out clip. So much easier.

/ PTO shaft yokes #7  
I like the design of the collar type on the PTO shaft I purchased a couple of years ago. When you pull the collar back, it automatically locks in place and then snaps back when it is slid onto the PTO drive shaft. Now that's smart engineering and a welcome change! ;)

/ PTO shaft yokes #8  
I like the design of the collar type on the PTO shaft I purchased a couple of years ago. When you pull the collar back, it automatically locks in place and then snaps back when it is slid onto the PTO drive shaft. Now that's smart engineering and a welcome change! ;)
Do you have a link to it?

/ PTO shaft yokes #9  
The PTO shaft I had for the snow blower had the collar type. It was a PITA to retract the collar in cold wx - you know, cold grease and all that. I don't imagine the push pin type would have been much better. The PTO shaft for my Wally BX62S is the push pin type. Nothing is easy when everything is slathered in black grease.

/ PTO shaft yokes

This is what I have done to make it easier to hook up the ring types. Pulled back the ring and drilled a 1/8 hole. Insert a clip or whatever, install on tractor, pull out clip. So much easier.

Both good ideas.

I have some physical issues that made hooking up the shaft extremely difficult.
I replaced my new style with a push button unit.
I keep my distance from spinning shafts, so the protruding pin shouldn't be an issue.

Thank you Rick B. for the explanation, I couldn't imagine why OSHA didn't like the push button.