PTO shaft protector install?

/ PTO shaft protector install? #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
I have a Danuser auger, works great except PTO shaft protector is bad. Tractor Supply had one I got last night will work, but how do I install it? It's shown retracted, it's about 8ft extended.
Next thing is as you can see the attachment piece near digger end is also damaged. I assume that I'd have to order, but how does it attach to protector?
Thanks!View attachment 681560 20201230_175009.jpg20201230_174841.jpg

/ PTO shaft protector install? #2  
First thing I would do is removed the exposed bolt (under damaged plastic) and see what you get.... IRT may or may not indicate course of action from there....

Dale

/ PTO shaft protector install? #3  
I don't know that they all are universal or attach the same way. May need a certain brand/model/style. Like Dale said, start by removing the old and see what you have.

/ PTO shaft protector install? #4  
See if this helps.

Last edited:
   / PTO shaft protector install?
I found out today Tractor Supply is expensive on these protectors. Original one is a Weisler brand, and so is this one. But they were two cheap to include the snap rings and safety chains .
Tractor Supply manager was no help, YouTube videos show installing a kit (easy).
I called Tractor Supply corporate, after an hour on hold girl wasn't familiar with them.
I called Weisler...closed until January 3rd!
I called Danuser 6 times, left message, they must be on vacation.
I saw online Tractor Supply sells clips and chains separately.
Tomorrow I think I'll return it.

/ PTO shaft protector install? #6  
I like the Bar-Co pto shaft guards;
PTO Shaft Protective Covers - BARE-Co
I ended up replacing the pto shaft on my brush hog last year and went with one of there shafts and guards,
the guard is easy to uncouple and slid out of the way for greasing and connecting the pto shaft.