PTO seal which ways which!!

/ PTO seal which ways which!! #1  

Masseymad18

Tractor
Masses Ferguson. Ford
Hi all I'm replacing the PTO seal on my MF. Which side should go against the oil and which faces out.
Always thought the spring side in faxing oil but it's really hard to fit that way. Fits nicely the other way?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20181030_165301.jpg
    20181030_165301.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 118
  • 20181030_165254.jpg
    20181030_165254.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 99
   / PTO seal which ways which!! #2  
typically seals go with metal facing out . not sure on your tractor tho

/ PTO seal which ways which!! #3  
Hi all I'm replacing the PTO seal on my MF. Which side should go against the oil and which faces out.
Always thought the spring side in faxing oil but it's really hard to fit that way. Fits nicely the other way?

Thanks

The side you show in the first photo faces out. The rubber lip should angle towards the oil side.

/ PTO seal which ways which!!
Thanks guys for the reply. That's the way that's very tight alright. Hopefully I don't damage it putting it in!

/ PTO seal which ways which!! #7  

Thanks

That's why I'm attached to my cell phone - take pictures on disassembly.

/ PTO seal which ways which!! #8  
The side you show in the first photo faces out. The rubber lip should angle towards the oil side.

Yes. Imagine some pressure building up against the seal from the oil. With the lip facing in towards the oil, the seal will be pressed tighter against the shaft due to the pressure. If the lip were facing the other way, the pressure would tend to lift the rubber away from the shaft, allowing the oil out.

/ PTO seal which ways which!!
Thank you all for your replies. I thought thats how it goes on and as stated by someone above I always take pics before and during disasambly. It's so helpful

However!!

This is the second pto seal I've put on as the new one before this leaked just after it was installed and I see the problem on this one.
New pto shaft btw

I put the pto seal in the pto collar/retainer. Pushed the collar onto the shaft. (Really tight and and each time the outer lip of the seal is partly sticking.
So then I tried a different approach of putting the shaft into the housing and equally pressing the collar in on its bolts but it still happens
Not in the same area each time may I add it's hit or miss.
I took the seal pack to the shop and he gave me a new one but it still is happening?
What's up I wonder.
I've pointed to the area I'm talking about in one pic.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20181102_150046.jpg
    20181102_150046.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 103
  • 20181102_150036.jpg
    20181102_150036.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 103
   / PTO seal which ways which!! #10  
Thank you all for your replies. I thought thats how it goes on and as stated by someone above I always take pics before and during disasambly. It's so helpful

However!!

This is the second pto seal I've put on as the new one before this leaked just after it was installed and I see the problem on this one.
New pto shaft btw

I put the pto seal in the pto collar/retainer. Pushed the collar onto the shaft. (Really tight and and each time the outer lip of the seal is partly sticking.
So then I tried a different approach of putting the shaft into the housing and equally pressing the collar in on its bolts but it still happens
Not in the same area each time may I add it's hit or miss.
I took the seal pack to the shop and he gave me a new one but it still is happening?
What's up I wonder.
I've pointed to the area I'm talking about in one pic.

Thanks
Try putting the seal on the shaft the easy way and let it sit overnight. Then grease everything good and turn it around to the correct orientation the next day. It should go easier. Use some popsicle sticks to help the lip onto the seal surface on the shaft.