PTO Generator question

/ PTO Generator question #41  
Yup. High tech frequency drive units are especially vulnerable to junky power. A generator capable of producing fairly clean power that can handle clean inrush power draw is very important.

By the way, weve been running on my 22 kw genny for over an hour now. Utility website states 8,100 customers without power.View attachment 864618

View attachment 864619
Nice display

/ PTO Generator question #42  
I wouldn’t want to have my expensive tractor tied up to a generator function during storms.

That's a super-important concern. Convenience, ease of access, fueling, etc, all are factors in deciding what kind of backup one gets, if any.

Around here, there are a wide range of b/u philosophies. Not one uses a PTO generator on their tractors, if they have tractors. 2 neighbors I know use no b/u at all. Just some ice from the store, plus the woodstove and flashlights. At the other extreme are 2 neighbors who have solar panels with Enphase batteries. One of those 2 has no genny at all, and has run the batteries down during a couple of longer cloudy outages. Then there are the whole-house genny folks; some of them have fancy 20KW or more propane-powered auto-b/u generators, and others use cheap, loud 5-10KW-ish units in a shed, or their garage.

Propane is a huge issue for gennies here. The bigger units can cost $150 or more per day to run, and running out of propane is a risk. If the storm is long, road access problems could keep the propane trucks away.

I take a middle road b/u strategy. I run gasoline, but not all day. Just an hour or so at a time when needing refrigerator access. 3-4 times per day. Not too noisy, and easy electric start, I use less than 2gal per day of gas. Manual breaker controls, and no extension cords. I also have a Honda EB3000C as b/u b/u in case the Onan fails. I am fortunate that I have gravity-flow water with a large tank, an excellent wood stove, and a super-insulated concrete house.

Last edited:
   / PTO Generator question #44  
Simple to fix just get another tractor :)
Multiple tractors also gives options of backup. Little tractor is great for 10k pto generator, Bigger tractor better for clearing road from snow and trees. Small gas Yamaha inverter has helped for short but increasingly frequent power losses.

/ PTO Generator question #45  
Why would a small generator (and what is small?) destroy a well pump?
The amount of WORK done by a well pump electric motor is measured in gallons (weight) lifted , mechanically. And measured in WATTS , which is VOLTS X AMPS, electrically.

If the voltage sags, the motor draws more AMPS to try to do the same work. When AMPs going through a wire increase, heating increases also. (Inductive reactance comes into play also, but that gets long winded).

So if the voltage sags, the motor reacts similarly to the conditions of power on start up. Lots of extra heat made.

Last edited:
   / PTO Generator question #46  
My diesel unit out next to the shop is capable of 408/3 but it's wired for 220/3 instead and I had a certified electrician do all the electrical work.

I don't play with electricity at all. Good way to get dead.
Interesting voltage. I've never heard of 408 3 phase.

My thoughts on the tractor driven gen is that if I'm outside cleaning up hurricane damage, I don't need to be running the gen. That's why I have a 25kW to run my whole house. Very cheap and no additional fuel. As far as the transfer switch, there are idiots who backfeed and typically Darwin will weed them out. If a person knows what they are doing setting up a gen is perfectly safe. I have my 2- 200 amp panels configured for isolation and connecting my generator.