PTO Driven pumps

/ PTO Driven pumps #1  

Fisher970

Tractor
Kubota M9540
Hi all,
First time poster here.

I just recently bought a second hand Kubota M9540 for some property I have in the Bahamas. Its a bit of a working hobby farm and having a tractor is new to us everything has been done by hand so far. So I'm kind of like a kid in the candy shop right now finding all the attachments I can get. However, being realistic, I'm trying to focus on what I'll actually use frequently.

The first attachment I want to get is a PTO driven pump. We have a number of freshwater ponds that we clean out every couple of months because they get filled with fine sediment and sand. In the past we have used just small honda gas pumps just to suction the water and then shovel out the silt which ends up being a couple day job. The other thing we have is a little marina entrance to the ocean that tends to fill up with sand after storms. In the past we've rented a 6" diesel pump from the local CAT dealer but they no longer carry the pumps in their rental fleet. I want to say it was a 600GPM pump but its been a couple of years since we rented it.

So I was thinking we kill 2 birds with one stone. We already have all the piping for the 6"pump so looking for something the same size. Am I right in saying that a trash pump suits this application? Does anyone know of a PTO trash pump that big? The M9540 spec sheet says the PTO has a max output of 84hp @540rpm. I haven't had all that much luck looking online.

Thanks in advance!

/ PTO Driven pumps #2  
Good morning and welcome to TBN. I have a 3" trash pump and rented and used a 6" trash pump. No idea of your location but you might find what you are looking for on the internet. Perhaps even a local dealer.

Yes - to pump water, silt, sand, pebbles and small rocks - a trash pump. Be sure it has a screen on the end of the intake hose. You don't want large rocks fouling the intake hose nor damaging the pump itself.

As you already know - a 6" PTO driven trash pump will be a BIG piece of equipment.

The only units that big are usually combined with their own power supply( diesel engine ). I can't remember ever seeing a 6" PTO unit.

The M9540 should have plenty of power if you can find a PTO unit.

/ PTO Driven pumps #3  
Hi all,
First time poster here.

I just recently bought a second hand Kubota M9540 for some property I have in the Bahamas. Its a bit of a working hobby farm and having a tractor is new to us everything has been done by hand so far. So I'm kind of like a kid in the candy shop right now finding all the attachments I can get. However, being realistic, I'm trying to focus on what I'll actually use frequently.

The first attachment I want to get is a PTO driven pump. We have a number of freshwater ponds that we clean out every couple of months because they get filled with fine sediment and sand. In the past we have used just small honda gas pumps just to suction the water and then shovel out the silt which ends up being a couple day job. The other thing we have is a little marina entrance to the ocean that tends to fill up with sand after storms. In the past we've rented a 6" diesel pump from the local CAT dealer but they no longer carry the pumps in their rental fleet. I want to say it was a 600GPM pump but its been a couple of years since we rented it.

So I was thinking we kill 2 birds with one stone. We already have all the piping for the 6"pump so looking for something the same size. Am I right in saying that a trash pump suits this application? Does anyone know of a PTO trash pump that big? The M9540 spec sheet says the PTO has a max output of 84hp @540rpm. I haven't had all that much luck looking online.

Thanks in advance!

The only system that will be useable for you is a liquid manure pump mounted on wheels used
to pump and agitate manure in manure lagoons.

The folks at Conestoga Manure Spreaders can help you with this as you do not have a big pumping need.

www.conestogamanurespreaders.com

1-800-822-1976

jeb@conestogamfg.com

/ PTO Driven pumps #4  
My uncle made 6" pumps for the oilfield to pump out reserve pits on drilling locations. All were built with just a torch, welder, measuring tape, chalk, just basic tools. I've seen him pump out a 15 acre pond that the drain was not working, so needed replacing. It took a week to pump it out. That was almost 40 years ago and I still see his pumps on oilfield trucks around here, being hauled around.

/ PTO Driven pumps #5  
So there are PTO driven water pumps available. I do not know your exact details but some pumps might work, whereas others will not.
Trash pumps, can lift a moderate head, and can be used with a decently long discharge.

Centrifugal pumps can lift a moderate head, and be used with a long discharge. They are higher pressure.

If you do not need to lift far or pump far a relift pump is great. They are very high volume but low pressure.

/ PTO Driven pumps #6  

One of several on market place.

/ PTO Driven pumps
Thanks for all the replies!

Unfortunately the manure pump style will not help me for my application. When we use the pump to dredge the marina entrance, we do it by hand controlling the suction line. Basically we built a "T" handle onto the suction fitting of the hose and have 2 guys controlling the head. The suction pipe then runs up to the pump and the sand pumped up onto land.

I'll plan to reach out to Gorman Rupp after the holidays.

/ PTO Driven pumps #9  
There is an easier way other than pumping all the water out and removing the sediment or running that sediment through your pump. Use a dredge style nozzle and a small water pump.

/ PTO Driven pumps #10  
I have the smaller one to pump out a duckhole, 30 hrs to drain 5 acres 6”- 18” deep

1682122766752.png