PT-180 Clicking or thunking from wheels under stress

/ PT-180 Clicking or thunking from wheels under stress #41  
Is it possible the spindle is loose and worn to the point of jumping splines? Just my thought

/ PT-180 Clicking or thunking from wheels under stress
Well just an update for everyone. I took the pump out last night. It was a lot easier than I anticipated. I ended up leave the main (tram?) pump connected to the two smaller pumps. It was hard to get a wrench in there and I was worried about forward and backward play if it was even possible to get them out separate.

So I am just sending the whole thing to Terry, doesn't make much sense to disconnect them now.

The lovejoy coupler looked basically brand new, so that was not the source of the issue.

I will report back here once I have any updates.

/ PT-180 Clicking or thunking from wheels under stress #43  
Glad it wasn't too painful to remove. (y)

/ PT-180 Clicking or thunking from wheels under stress #44  
if the lovejoy coupler is slipping at 3600 engine rpm would it make a ratcheting noise?
FWIW: Lovejoys rarely slip. When they do, it is usually because of a slipped key way or grub screw, and you can hear the metal on metal screaming. No effective work happens.

All the best, Peter

Last edited:
   / PT-180 Clicking or thunking from wheels under stress #45  
FWIW: Lovejoys rarely slip. When they do, it is usually because of a slipped key way or grub screw, and you can hear the metal on metal screaming. No effective work happens.

All the best, Peter
I just experienced this with a lovejoy last week on that leaf vacuum I'm cobbling together. A set screw that I wasn't using and frankly forgot about backed out and started rubbing the area near it. I heard a strange noise and then the bypass kicked in and the blade stopped turning. The screw backed out far enough to grab some of the motor mounting materials and stopped the blade from turning.

Surprisingly, I just reached down there and backed it the rest of the way out with my fingertips.

Then, surprisingly to me, I felt an intense burning sensation in my fingertips from the now very hot set screw! 😬

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

:ROFLMAO:

/ PT-180 Clicking or thunking from wheels under stress #46  
A week later and the burn blister is almost worn down. Just a speck. :ROFLMAO:

ADAF708A-305B-4AAE-8191-88F9649C9263.jpeg

/ PT-180 Clicking or thunking from wheels under stress
So I just got my pump back from Power Trac today. Unfortunately I won't be back near the tractor for another week or two.

Terry called me Monday, he indicated that the "valve was lifting", or something like that. So I guess the valve plate or something? I asked how it happened, he basically just said the surfaces didn't mate correctly (aka bad luck, aka manufacturer defect I guess). So a total pump rebuild was required.

Costed me $1,122 bucks, shipped back.

I will updated this again in a couple weeks once the pump is back in and its ( hopefully! ) running back to normal.

/ PT-180 Clicking or thunking from wheels under stress #49  
Good to hear. Good luck. Looking forward to the results. (y)

/ PT-180 Clicking or thunking from wheels under stress #50  
That was quick service.