PT-180 Clicking or thunking from wheels under stress

/ PT-180 Clicking or thunking from wheels under stress #11  
Ooooo. That's not good.

Does it in forward and reverse?

I'd trust Terry's opinion over mine, however, with any luck, it might just be the lovejoy connector set screw(s) between the pump and the motor or rubber star between the lovejoy sections slipping when under pressure. You'll have to get to them when you pull the pump, so inspect as you proceed.
If there is a lovejoy coupling between engine and pump that would be my first thought on point of failure.

Does that same lovejoy also run the implement pump?

/ PT-180 Clicking or thunking from wheels under stress #12  
I'm with @MossRoad on both counts; I trust Terry over me any day of the week and twice on Sunday, but I will hope that the stuttering might be a bad LoveJoy connector.

FWIW: I had to replace a wheel motor at 5 hours, but the tractor has been a workhorse for the last fifteen years.

All the best,

Peter

/ PT-180 Clicking or thunking from wheels under stress #13  
Ooooo. That's not good.

Does it in forward and reverse?

I'd trust Terry's opinion over mine, however, with any luck, it might just be the lovejoy connector set screw(s) between the pump and the motor or rubber star between the lovejoy sections slipping when under pressure. You'll have to get to them when you pull the pump, so inspect as you proceed.
I would think if it was the Lovejoy slipping, it would also slip when he deadheads a hydraulic cylinder since all the pumps drive through each other.

But one way to test that theory would be to see if the loader will raise when the drive is ratcheting. If the coupler was slipping due to operator calling for drive torque then the hyd pump would also stop turning in unison.

/ PT-180 Clicking or thunking from wheels under stress #14  
I would think if it was the Lovejoy slipping, it would also slip when he deadheads a hydraulic cylinder since all the pumps drive through each other.

But one way to test that theory would be to see if the loader will raise when the drive is ratcheting. If the coupler was slipping due to operator calling for drive torque then the hyd pump would also stop turning in unison.
Yes, I forgot about that. My 2001 model PT425 is set up differently. The tram pump is ahead of the engine and the main PTO/steering-FEL-aux PTO pumps are behind the engine.

/ PT-180 Clicking or thunking from wheels under stress #15  
Man that sounds and looks really unusual. Sounds like there isn't a smooth flow of oil when you are putting strain on the pump. i wonder too, if the tram pump is having issues.

I don't recall, isn't the filter in the tram pump circuit? Possibly the filter is partially plugged.

/ PT-180 Clicking or thunking from wheels under stress #16  
Man that sounds and looks really unusual. Sounds like there isn't a smooth flow of oil when you are putting strain on the pump. i wonder too, if the tram pump is having issues.

I don't recall, isn't the filter in the tram pump circuit? Possibly the filter is partially plugged.
Yes, the suction filter provides the make up oil to the variable volume pump. So, yes, if there were a filter issue, it might cause bad cavitation, and the knocking like sounds.

It does sound mechanical to me though, which doesn't rule out the pump having issues, which is Terry's point.

All the best,

Peter

/ PT-180 Clicking or thunking from wheels under stress #17  
The filter supplies oil to the charge pump inside of the variable volume pump. Nothing is filtered going to the PTO/aux PTO pumps that I know of.

/ PT-180 Clicking or thunking from wheels under stress #18  
This is going to be one of those examples we're going to refer to in years to come. The video is excellent troubleshooting material that we can refer to in the future.

/ PT-180 Clicking or thunking from wheels under stress
Yes, the suction filter provides the make up oil to the variable volume pump. So, yes, if there were a filter issue, it might cause bad cavitation, and the knocking like sounds.

It does sound mechanical to me though, which doesn't rule out the pump having issues, which is Terry's point.

All the best,

Peter
So forgive my ignorance here, I'm not an expert in hydraulics. The other hydraulic systems all seem to work fine and have full power, so I don't think it could be a filter / cavitation issue?

Either way, I will be attempting to tear it apart this weekend, hopefully that goes well....

/ PT-180 Clicking or thunking from wheels under stress #20  
I don't know anything about Power Tracs other than what MossRoad tells me, but I'm wondering if there is a pressure relief valve that is bypassing and resetting ...