PT-180 Tram pump issues

/ PT-180 Tram pump issues #1  

James23

Tractor
Power Trac PT-180
So some of you are aware that I have recently sent the Pump on my PT-180 back in to get serviced.

I got it back and was finally able to get up to my property this weekend to put the reman pump back in.

A couple hours later and I'm having some issues.

• Pump is back in, all hoses are connected correctly.
  • Pump won't bleed (cranking and cranking, only air)
  • Bleeder hose has no pressure (stick my thumb on it, nothing....)
  • Decide to start engine. All hydraulics but Tram pump work fine. So pump shaft is turning.
  • when you hit the treadle, nothing happens, no nudges, no change in engine rpm, its like its disconnected.
  • Lots of cursing, kicking,swearing and inspecting the pump, I *think* the problem is uncovered.
I have a strong guess at what my issue is. I will be calling Terry in the morning here to have a discussion.
I have attached pictures of my pump before it left my garage and after it was re manufactured.

Anyone see any problems!??? (I am pretty sure I see the issue, but for fun lets see what you all come up with.)

Attachments

• after1.JPG
    after1.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 131
  • after2.JPG
    after2.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 129
  • before1.JPG
    before1.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 133
  • before2.JPG
    before2.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 126
  • after3.jpg
    after3.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 118
Last edited:
   / PT-180 Tram pump issues #2  
All I can say is to triple or even quadruple check all the hoses. And if you happen to use those plastic caps to block the lines while the pump was out, makes sure all of those are removed.

Also, and not to sound like a smart ar$e, you may want to address that positive battery terminal. Looks a bit nasty and could cause some weird electrical issues in the future.

/ PT-180 Tram pump issues #3  
Not familiar with that exact pump but first question is where is the charge pump and is is connected properly?

No charge pump no working HST tranny.

/ PT-180 Tram pump issues #4  
Dumb question, but did you prime the pump, i.e. fill the suction hose between the filter and pump with oil?

All the best,

Peter

/ PT-180 Tram pump issues
Dumb question, but did you prime the pump, i.e. fill the suction hose between the filter and pump with oil?

All the best,

Peter

I did not, but I did change the oil filter and primed that. Do you think even after running it for ~5 minutes that there would be some type of air bubble in there still?

Edit: Terry told me to remove the top hose and fill the pump, which I did. So the pump is full AND the filter is full. I spend perhaps 10 sessions of 10 second cranks with the bleeder hose on the pump. Nothing came out (not even a spit or a puff).

Last edited:
Not familiar with that exact pump but first question is where is the charge pump and is is connected properly?

No charge pump no working HST tranny.
I am not sure what a charge pump is, but if you are asking if I am literally missing a hydraulic pump of some type, No is the answer to that. All of the pumps that came with the tractor are on there, nothing removed.

/ PT-180 Tram pump issues #7  
I did not, but I did change the oil filter and primed that. Do you think even after running it for ~5 minutes that there would be some type of air bubble in there still?
Since you observed that pump shaft must be turning due to the other pumps producing pressure (great observation!), all I can think of is that there isn't enough of a seal in the variable volume pump to suck oil. That's why I would think about putting some oil in the line from the filter down to the pump.

All the best,

Peter

All I can say is to triple or even quadruple check all the hoses. And if you happen to use those plastic caps to block the lines while the pump was out, makes sure all of those are removed.

Also, and not to sound like a smart ar$e, you may want to address that positive battery terminal. Looks a bit nasty and could cause some weird electrical issues in the future.
I spent half the weekend driving around town to find a new battery. Turns out a "group 45" is rare. But a Group 51 is close.

To answer your question, yes I fixed that :).

Since you observed that pump shaft is turning (great observation!), all I can think of is that there isn't enough of a seal in the variable volume pump to suck oil. That's why I would think about putting some oil in the line from the filter down to the pump.

All the best, Peter
Do you see the open gap at the top of the "after" pictures. Notice how at corner the gap closes, but on both sides of it, the gap is open?

I believe that gap is showing me the internals of the pump. AKA that gap is not supposed to be there and beyond being totally screwed up, is not allowing the pump to develop suction. Sort of like how an engine can't develop compression if there is a large hole in the combustion chamber.

/ PT-180 Tram pump issues #10  
I spent half the weekend driving around town to find a new battery. Turns out a "group 45" is rare. But a Group 51 is close.

To answer your question, yes I fixed that :).
Yes, battery replacements can be a pain. I think PT actually put in a post swapped version in my tractor as the negative crossed the positive originally.

All the best,

Peter