Protection from or Deterrants for Deer?

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #21  
Good luck the only thing that worked for us was an 8ft fence. it gets expensive really fast

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #22  
I'm remote enough that I can apply liberal doses of human processed liquids without concern. I hung some bits of hair also as a local suggested that method. Put a second solar/motion light down there today.

Don't soap flakes melt in the rain?

Yes they do but I failed to mention our methodology.

We make small bags using soft window screening and fold some plastic to form a little roof like hat.
This is all done using staples for simplicity.

I don't know why it works, perhaps it is 'human like' scent to deer or it is an irritant.

Locally the wardens discovered that deer had some form of 'mad cow like disease' and have herded a few hundred in order to slaughter them with hopes of containing the disease. The carcasses will be incinerated shortly. They also issued a ban that covers a fairly large area.

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer?
OK. I have some scrap pieces left over from a metal roof project. I used some to cover a bird house. I could make some small bird house type things using that and some screening.

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #24  
Dried blood fertilizer in a bird feeder (to protect it from the rain) worked well for me when we had a couple of plots in a community garden. They ate everyone else's but left my plots alone.

Ken

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #25  
On the trees try hanging the cheap foil pie pans on a string. They were tearing up some new trees I planted while polishing their antlers this fall. The pans stopped it immediately. They sway, make noise, especially if they hit them.

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer?
^^ Somebody local suggested hair, so as I trim mine, I've been hanging small satchels of it on some branches. I've also added a couple of commercial products that come in small canisters. And there are the liberal doses of my own naturally filtered slightly yellowish aromatic fluids as nature calls (I'm far enough out that nobody can see the application process).

I haven't noticed any more damage in recent weeks, but I'll have to see what happens in the Spring when things (hopefully) start leafing out. And there's a long possibly cold and snowy period between now and then. If the ground gets covered too deep in the great white devil, the deer may come looking for something to eat they don't have to dig for.

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #27  
Yes they do but I failed to mention our methodology.

We make small bags using soft window screening and fold some plastic to form a little roof like hat.
This is all done using staples for simplicity.

I don't know why it works, perhaps it is 'human like' scent to deer or it is an irritant.

Locally the wardens discovered that deer had some form of 'mad cow like disease' and have herded a few hundred in order to slaughter them with hopes of containing the disease. The carcasses will be incinerated shortly. They also issued a ban that covers a fairly large area.

Whaaat?! Any chance it will spread over to Ontario?

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #28  
Hey - I've even tried the weird/exotic options to keep wildlife at bay. Big 'ol boom-box hanging in one of my apple trees. Worked good for about two weeks. Then one evening there are three or four deer out in the orchard. All of a sudden they are all dancing around - their favorite tune is being played on the boom-box. So much for that idea.

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #30  
In the 37 years I've been out here the deer have had some form of "wasting disease" twice. Dramatic reduction in the populations - took the better part of five years to return to normal. It also resulted in substantial reductions in the coyote population. Field mice had a heyday. And the world goes round............