Propane tractor

/ Propane tractor #22  
I believe it is a 300 gallon tank.

/ Propane tractor #23  
I remember lots of trucks with propane tanks in the back in the 1970s. Haven’t seen them for years. Must not be economically viable compared to gasoline or diesel.

/ Propane tractor #24  
Propane is bulky, not as easy or quick to fill up, and the gasoline engine converted to propane has a power reduction and thus mpg reduction which reduces the price advantage that propane otherwise has.

If you can deal with the other detractions, it's probably still generally cheaper per mile, but I suspect most people aren't willing to make those tradeoffs.

Considering I just filled my home tanks for $1.55/gal a couple weeks ago, I can see the revival of the propane conversion...

Last edited:
   / Propane tractor #27  
I believe it is a 300 gallon tank.

Thanks, but I was hoping for about 5,000 gallons.

Considering I just filled my home tanks for $1.55/gal a couple weeks ago, I can see the revival of the propane conversion...
Wow, I had the two 500 and one 1,000 gallon tank filled yesterday, for....$2.49/gallon. Would've never guessed it'd be cheaper in CA, let alone by that much.

/ Propane tractor #30  
I have a propane filling station at one of my businesses
Nice! So probably a 10,000 gallon tank or better, right?

I forgot to ask the propane guy yesterday, but doesn't it require electricity to pump the propane from the storage tank into a delivery truck or smaller tanks?