Propane tractor

/ Propane tractor #11  
My winters go down to minus 40 and my propane 351 Fords always started. The one time one didn't was because the mixer failed and needed to be replaced.
Also true what has been mentioned here....if you increase compression you will get more power out of propane.
There was a local guy here that had a nine second 57 Chevy drag car on propane....but he had high compression pistons.

In the city close to me all the taxi cabs used to be propane Chev cars too.....until they started using little Hyundai's and Kia's. Then the fuel cost savings levelled out.

/ Propane tractor #12  
Anywhere rurat that has propane for the house usually has a propane powered stand by generator as well. Just too many advantages not to.
My generator is maybe 50 feet from the main 1,000 gallon propane tank, but it's a diesel.

Why? Because with my luck the feces would hit the fan in the winter and the tank may only be half full. Now the heating and generator would be competing for that half tank, and one wouldn't work without the other.

In my case, the propane place is nearby so I could easily go get a full tank or three with the equipment I have, plus I know where the keys for their delivery truck are. Well, hooking up a full tank is doable, but wouldn't be fun or easy, and their truck would most likely be near empty in this situation. After all, if I don't have electricity, neither do they.

With 800 to 1,600 gallons of diesel on hand, it's painfully simple to add fuel to the generator. If that supply runs out I can take more from vehicle fuel tanks, or go get some from people that have large tanks but no diesel generators.

To me, there's just too many disadvantages to having a propane generator.

/ Propane tractor
I have easy access to refuel propane and it looks like a 60kw generator is about the same price in either propane or diesel

/ Propane tractor #15  
Here's one !

/ Propane tractor #16  
factory propane tractors had higher compression from the factory to produce the same power as the gasoline versions
I hadn't considered that, but given:
1696462466051.png

it makes a lot of sense if you know you'll always be running propane and not gasoline.

/ Propane tractor #17  
Here's one !
I was going to mention that Deere!
He's in Mississippi, buyer Vermont though.
Today my wife said "I want the Deere!"
We're in Virginia...
You can buy a propane carburetor. A fellow I knew had a 1969 Ford Ranchero 351 Cleveland, propane tank in bed of it. Any propane vehicle I've known exhaust tailpipe is white, spark plugs & oil stays clean.
I had a Clark forklift here, after many hours oil looked new. It had a 4 cylinder Continental (I'm thinking).

Last edited:
   / Propane tractor #18  
I have easy access to refuel propane and it looks like a 60kw generator is about the same price in either propane or diesel
A 60KW generator is going to be quite a fuel hog, if you use the 2 hp per kw you'd be running a 120 hp engine that will suck fuel reqardless of the type of fuel. Lots of electricity.

/ Propane tractor #19  
A 60KW generator is going to be quite a fuel hog, if you use the 2 hp per kw you'd be running a 120 hp engine that will suck fuel reqardless of the type of fuel. Lots of electricity.
Just be careful going 60KW diesel , if you don't work it it can 'wet stack' . New ones with DPF, DEF even more so. Also need to mind your fuel, if it sits more than it runs watch for condensation leading to diesel algae buildup, bad times ! Keep tank full , winter diesel if in cooler climate, treat with a biocide . Fuel can be scrubbed or change it out to your oil burner or other diesels .

Ran a 60KW Propane ten days straight 24-7 during an ice storm , used 600 gallons. It wasn't working very hard most of the time but propane engines are ok with that.

/ Propane tractor #20  
Does anyone make a propane powered tractor? And would you buy one? I'm looking to upgrade my 20 year old kubota with something in the 50-75 hp range but don't want to deal with the problems with the emissions systems on the new diesel engines. I know propane forklifts last thousands of hours with simple service and are low emissions if they can run indoors in a warehouse.
My wife has a propane powered John Deere for sale. $3500 for tractor and $5,000 for tractor, hay forks, bush hog, blade, and huge propane tank