Prices on driveway paving

/ Prices on driveway paving #1  

TuckR

Tractor
Kubota L3302
Howdy folks. I used the search function but didn't find any results from the last seven years. I have about 250yds of driveway on my soon to be constructed home. I'd like to start budgeting for getting that paved. We will be doing a decent amount of snow removal in the winter, and that sure goes a lot easier on asphalt in my experience. Anyone driveways done recently and want to terrify me with what they spent?

/ Prices on driveway paving #2  
Just a very rough number. My drive would be about 650 sq yd. The added roughly 2 inches of asphalt over the old asphalt which was still intact but had some cracks they repaired. They also roto milled against two different concrete pads so there wasn’t a big lip. Roughly $20k.

/ Prices on driveway paving #3  
I have asphalt now. Would never pay for it again. We are about to concrete our 1000 feet.

/ Prices on driveway paving #4  
Costs will vary regionally - neighbor had a new drive (was prepped packed and graded so minimal work to pave) paved last fall 400' long with turnaround - total about 6500 SF with 2" base and 1" top coat $13500, or $2 PSF.

If you are building a new drive, the base and prep work is most important - suggest getting a good base 6" and compacting that for the first year then paving the second year once it settles.

We were going to redo our drive at the same time, and for 5000 SF, with asphalt removal, regrading and paving was $15K or $3 PSF.

/ Prices on driveway paving #6  
$2 sf once base is already done.

/ Prices on driveway paving #7  
Don’t pay the whole bill until you are satisfied and get everything in writing. We just got burned doing millings over the existing gravel. Not done to spec and contractor will not finish the work. Not enough hold back on our part.

/ Prices on driveway paving #8  
275 yards (825 lf) x 12 ft wide=1100 sq yards, at 1.5" or roughly 165#/sy; 91 tons of asphalt; at $165/ton, plus $5000 mobilzation=$19,975.

All of that is pretty much based on some assumptions. 1.5" of SP-12.5 (or SP-9.5) on top of graded, compacted base (already in place; if not, figure approx $4500-6000 for 6" of base material, graded, and compacted, or roughly $15-20/ton; delivered, graded, compacted, heavily dependent on distance).

Last edited:
   / Prices on driveway paving #9  
I have asphalt now. Would never pay for it again. We are about to concrete our 1000 feet.
1000 LF of concrete, 12 ft wide, x 6" thick; 225 CY of concrete; not counting any labor grading and compacting subgrade, no labor for the pour, 100% easy access, zero pumping, your at $33,750 in Material; figure $1500 in forming material, $3,000 in labor forming, and then $6200 in pour labor; your Atleast $44,560; and those are pretty low numbers for the labor. Doesn't include Any grade work.

/ Prices on driveway paving #10  
Most of the issues people have with asphalt fall into a couple categorys:
1) they get ripped off by what we refer to as asphalt gypsies; you pay for 1.5" or 165#/sy, and they give you 1/2"; they are long gone before you realize you got hosed, and that pretty drive falls apart
2) base and or subgrade; asphalt is a flexible material, and the majority of the strength of the system comes from the base/subgrade; which should be sufficient thickness (6" for a residence should be fine); compacted (98% density); organics/plastic materials removed;
3) Trees; no trees within 8 ft of the edge of the roadway; and the tree roots of any trees cut/removed; any dead roots will decay and leave voids; any living roots will grow, expand, crack/heave the asphalt
4) water and/or drainage; keep the water out of the base, and fron standing on the asphalt.