Preferred Backhoe Controls

/ Preferred Backhoe Controls #1  

RayCo

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24, Case 580 Super L
After many years of using a Kubota backhoe (BX24), I got a second backhoe, a Case 580. The Case uses four sticks and two foot pedals. I've had the Case for about a year now, and even after lots of usage, I just can't get into this four stick configuration. The four-direction, two-stick operation on the Kubota seems much more efficient, intuitive, and natural. The four sticks on the case just seem like a lazy design. I can get a switchover kit to have a 2-stick setup on the Case, along with a foot pedal for the extend-a-hoe. So, the opinion question here is, assuming I'm okay with the cost, should I make the switch or just adapt and get used to it? Well, the real question is, what would you do in this situation.

/ Preferred Backhoe Controls #2  
   / Preferred Backhoe Controls #3  
It must be an older machine. I don't know of anyone that still makes a four stick machine. Imagine being used to using a four stick machine and getting a two stick. That was a happy day.

/ Preferred Backhoe Controls #4  
I have run 4 stick controls on Ford backhoe but never a Case. On the Fords the levers were placed so that I could easily operate two levers at once. Have also ran Deere hoe with joysticks and they are less tiring on the hands but seemed like arms and wrists got tired quicker.

I suspect twin sticks are much easier to learn on similar to FEL joystick vs two separate levers.

/ Preferred Backhoe Controls
The backhoe is from 1998, just for the record.

Two sticks in one hand is totally doable with this machine. It just gets a little awkward when I need two sticks in the same hand to go opposite directions.

/ Preferred Backhoe Controls #6  
I learned on Ford 4 sticks, 2 in each hand. First time I had to use Case controls I nearly knocked the boss into the trench. :D Told him I needed Ford controls! lol
For the OP I guess you can get used to anything if you are not in a hurry to adjust or digging commercially.

/ Preferred Backhoe Controls #7  
I have the 4 sticks and learned on that. You get used to it, just spend some time with it.