Poulan Troubleshooting

/ Poulan Troubleshooting #11  
Yes, I set it about 0.010. I couldn't find the exact specs but I think that's about right for most small engines.

I would like to get it going again. I've got an old 14" Poulan that's about 25 years old and it just keeps going.
I cann't confirm the 0.010 gap but have always just used the thickness of a paper matchbook cover or a good business card.
Seemed to always work for me. Probably close but not exact thats for sure.
You got me thinking though next trip out to the shop I am going to check if match cover is close to your 0.010 number

cheers

/ Poulan Troubleshooting #12  
It has a magneto to make spark?? Try a wire brush or sandpaper
to make the metal nice and shinny! I have seen many a small engine
that the mag got rust and no spark!

willy

/ Poulan Troubleshooting #13  
It has a magneto to make spark?? Try a wire brush or sandpaper
to make the metal nice and shinny! I have seen many a small engine
that the mag got rust and no spark!

willy
The rust doesn't effect the magnet to make spark. The rust will cause the air gap to get smaller to the point it rubs the coil, and that will effect spark. So minor rust coating is no big deal but crusty buildup will.

/ Poulan Troubleshooting #14  
I crack up when the stihl guys come in talking about poulan and pulling them to start. Yet their complaints are I cant get my stihl started and takes 12 pulls to even fire off.

I walk over to one of my poulans and sometimes start and pop on first pull. Which amazes me if I am quick enough to push choke in to catch it to keep it running.

IMHO it comes down to the owners and saw maintenance.

No matter the brand all saws I own are same way. Easy to start.
Be it stihl, husky, echo, dolmar, poulan, jonsered, partner and even the china clones.

spulllol.jpg
p85001.jpg

Last edited:
   / Poulan Troubleshooting #15  
I cann't confirm the 0.010 gap but have always just used the thickness of a paper matchbook cover or a good business card.
Seemed to always work for me. Probably close but not exact thats for sure.
You got me thinking though next trip out to the shop I am going to check if match cover is close to your 0.010 number

cheers
.010” is too small of gap. The matchbook cover described would be between.020.-.040” open the gap and spark should be present. In the past I have used neon bulb to verify spark strength over shocking my self. You can use voltmeter on high dc voltage setting at least that would help with strength of spark. Mind you negative leads both bulb and or meter to known ground. I have 3 Poulan saws only use synthetic fuel in them to assure stability.

/ Poulan Troubleshooting #16  
I've had a few Poulans, they are disposable. I'd upgrade, I wish I had years ago, but was lured to the Poulan due to the price.

I have 3 Echo's, all great saws, all are 10+ years old and start and run like new.
I bought one of those lightweight plastic Poulan ones many years ago when they first came out. My neighbor got one first and I really liked how light it was. The interesting part is both saws failed after about the same amount of operating time and the same failure mode. One of the screws on the flywheel vibrated loose and ended up getting wedged between the flywheel, fuel tank and chassis putting holes in the plastic.

Last cheapo saw I ever bought.

/ Poulan Troubleshooting #17  
.010” is too small of gap. The matchbook cover described would be between.020.-.040” open the gap and spark should be present. In the past I have used neon bulb to verify spark strength over shocking my self. You can use voltmeter on high dc voltage setting at least that would help with strength of spark. Mind you negative leads both bulb and or meter to known ground. I have 3 Poulan saws only use synthetic fuel in them to assure stability.
FYI speaking of gap on magneto not gap on spark plug