Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths”

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #41  
How much would a 3025R cost though. They want almost$40k for a 3025e with a backhoe. 😳

Well, let's play with numbers.

$40k for a 3025E with backhoe?

$30k without.

Add $5k for an R.

$35k for a 3025R without a backhoe would be my presumption. 🤣

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #42  
Well, let's play with numbers.

$40k for a 3025E with backhoe?

$30k without.

Add $5k for an R.

$35k for a 3025R without a backhoe would be my presumption. 🤣
I'm in Tennessee. Our sales tax is approx 9.5%

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #44  
So $15k more than my 1626?

Uhmmm....no.

New, I'm right there with you, but I could possibly be tempted by the right priced used machine lol.

It would sell though, maybe not to us, but it would sell.

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #45  
Used tractor values as of late are what pushed us to buy new. Just out of warranty, clean machines, we’re fetching premiums that didn’t justify the savings. Also, those units were still tier 4… just EARLY tier 4 units which arguably have more DPF issues. Which in my mind would reduce their value

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #46  
Used tractor values as of late are what pushed us to buy new. Just out of warranty, clean machines, we’re fetching premiums that didn’t justify the savings. Also, those units were still tier 4… just EARLY tier 4 units which arguably have more DPF issues. Which in my mind would reduce their value

That's why I was sure to mention 'the right price' as the used market is insane; that said, every now and again you see a deal, but they're gone quick. There was a 500 hour, 2017 Kubota BX-80, with loader, seemingly well maintained, for $9500 on CL. The ad was gone the next day; that is a rare deal in a time where older, more worn, comparable machines are selling for $3-5k more.

It's pretty crazy.

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #47  
That's why I was sure to mention 'the right price' as the used market is insane; that said, every now and again you see a deal, but they're gone quick. There was a 500 hour, 2017 Kubota BX-80, with loader, seemingly well maintained, for $9500 on CL. The ad was gone the next day; that is a rare deal in a time where older, more worn, comparable machines are selling for $3-5k more.

It's pretty crazy.
Yeah, I searched for “deals” for about a year… and they just didn’t materialize in the 40-50hp range.

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #48  
I agree with much of the original post, with exceptions.

My primary use for a tractor was originally for snow blowing. I still have visions of my late father coming in with his red hunting hat and jacket covered with snow after a session walking behind first the Montgomery Ward / Gilson, then the big green Deere snow blowers. Definitely not for me.

I selected a cab tractor with a mid pto, front blower, and 40 hp engine. Pickups with plows don’t work in my yard. It’s a lake lot on a slope, with no place to pile the snow other than ultimately, on the ice.

In the end, I chose the CK4010 because it fits in my garage, and on my car trailer (Although I have never towed it anywhere in four years). The next size up at the time with a mid pto was the NX, which was too heavy for the trailer, and didn’t fit the garage well. 40hp, though, is a little light for some snow events late in the season, but it was the best option. My first choice was Deere, but they didn’t seem serious about selling me a tractor at the time. Kubota seems more geared towards Starbucks drinkers, and Camry drivers. Not for me. Kioti is five miles from the house on the only route to town, and the wanted my business.

As to used tractors and implements, yes, deals are probably out there, but I hate chasing after what most often ends up being overpriced junk that sort of works. Not worth my time, and I don’t like making an on the spot decision on wether to buy any particular item without doing some research and comparisons. New is a better fit for me most of the time.

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #49  
I grew up on the back of fords and jd but let me put it another way "don't let cost drive you to buy less tractor than you really need", everyone has the tendency to try to spend less and letting that force you into a tractor that is too small leads to a lot of regret, if the tractor is "slightly" too large you won't even notice it after a wile and the cost delta will be mostly insignificant IMO.
Well I have a little 1705 Massey on a 8 acre wooded area. I have one friend with a 40hp tractor and another with a 35hp tractor. Each have smaller acreage and no woods to maintain. I have helped both. I have moved more dirt than either one at any time i have helped. They each were all talked into having a tractor that size when they didnt need to. The bigger the tractor doesn't translate into better operating. The inadequacies will always be there and for these gents. They will remain below average operators for sometime. This is where i think the bigger tractor theory really gets in the way. I think the more appropriate way to steer newbies is to go ahead and get the extra hydraulics and those types of things as that is cheaper at the time of purchase.

Nobody has convinced my why a person who owns a 3 acre lot needs a 40HP tractor. Its bizarre to me. Even what you are saying just seems strange. What regret would a hobby farmer or a guy with 10 acres have? That it took another hour to do the task he's doing? Had he had a 35HP tractor it would have taken 15 minutes less to till the garden. I respectively disagree and think money is better spent on implements and a third valve

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #50  
I bought more tractor than I needed today, because I may have it 10 years. I added the options I may need, because, I will find more uses for it. I did so in a measured way. Next year the same unit will cost 10% more. It cost me about $3-$4k more to do so… but in a year the tractor will cost that much more on its own.
I tell people to buy implements and to get a third valve over buying a bigger tractor. Especially if they are newbies. Bigger tractor doesn't make you a better operator. I would say if you came from a farm and operator equipment then fair enough. You know what you are doing and what you need. But the guy that sees the neighbor doing things with his tractor and then in turns wants. There is absolutely no reason to talk that guy into a bigger tractor. Most forums do exactly that. When there is more value to be added else where.