Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths”

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #31  
Here's something to think about also. I've been following all these tractor forums for many, many years. Remember way back when the John Deere threads were the only ones absolutely booming? And there were many members buying multiple tractors, and bigger tractors. And now a LOT of them just disappeared. I knew many of them. Know why they disappeared? Because they lost their tractors because they couldn't afford them.

Notice now......John Deere is the most expensive tractor and all the Deere forums have almost no activity on them any more. LOL
I honestly don't know how JD sells anything. Their 1025r is more $ than my Mahindra 1626. They're both made in Japan. I've used both. There's no way I'd buy a 1025. The 3025 is substantially more than the 1626, I've used one of those too. It's a joke compared to the 1626. You can't even remove the front end loader and these rear end housing is aluminum.

Their gator prices are just as obnoxious.

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #32  
I honestly don't know how JD sells anything. Their 1025r is more $ than my Mahindra 1626. They're both made in Japan. I've used both. There's no way I'd buy a 1025. The 3025 is substantially more than the 1626, I've used one of those too. It's a joke compared to the 1626. You can't even remove the front end loader and these rear end housing is aluminum.

That new Gator Signature Edition is $50,000 Canadian here before our 13% tax! LOL

I only paid that for my F150 when I bought it new in Sept 2020, LOL

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #33  
Good post OP!

I'd just like to add that needs, wants and capabilities can change so its just fine if the tractor in the barn changes too. I'm very happy with my tractor, but a cabbed rig is calling my name. I need to clear out some projects before I make another move, but in 5 years I can see one in the yard.

Its funny - I began writing a response to Cathy about being budget minded, but I definitely had the "budget blinders" on when I refused to add the accessories that I ultimately wanted later. I missed out on adding rear remotes, the backhoe subframe and third function that would have been MUCH cheaper if added when I ordered the machine. Whats the old saying: The cheap man pays the most?

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #34  
The only thing i can think is when you should go slightly bigger than you think. Is when you build a pole barn. But I agree with you. When I newbie asks about size of tractor for his hobby farm or his 6 acres. Guys are ready to spend your money on what i think is to big of a tractor. Ive always shrugged it off as most people didnt grow up on a farm and haven't been around equipment all there lives. There is only a handful of us out there and thats it.
I grew up on the back of fords and jd but let me put it another way "don't let cost drive you to buy less tractor than you really need", everyone has the tendency to try to spend less and letting that force you into a tractor that is too small leads to a lot of regret, if the tractor is "slightly" too large you won't even notice it after a wile and the cost delta will be mostly insignificant IMO.

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #35  
I bought more tractor than I needed today, because I may have it 10 years. I added the options I may need, because, I will find more uses for it. I did so in a measured way. Next year the same unit will cost 10% more. It cost me about $3-$4k more to do so… but in a year the tractor will cost that much more on its own.

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths”
I DID purchase features I thought would be important/useful and would cost much more later. My SE has 2 rear remotes, plus hydrostat. I’m not saying cheap out; just realize everything you add- well, adds $.

It’s like buying a truck. If you need an f150 and let everyone one on tbn chime in, you’ll end up with a king ranch f350 dually with 5th wheel capability when maybe you should have just stuck with a base model f150 and added those heated seats and a receiver hitch as factory options.

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #37  

Its the dealership network, parts availability and overall quality aspect. They can’t beat every other brand at everything, and they are more expensive, but they do have incredible parts and service networks.
From a farmers perspective, that sells very well.
I only have 2 John Deere pieces of equipment, but they work very well and were built to last.

I get the attraction to machines with higher horsepower or other better specs, but most Deere stuff was built to last a long time and bring excellent resale.

And like I said, I don’t even own a Deere tractor (yet)!

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #38  
Its the dealership network, parts availability and overall quality aspect. They can’t beat every other brand at everything, and they are more expensive, but they do have incredible parts and service networks.
From a farmers perspective, that sells very well.
I only have 2 John Deere pieces of equipment, but they work very well and were built to last.

I get the attraction to machines with higher horsepower or other better specs, but most Deere stuff was built to last a long time and bring excellent resale.

And like I said, I don’t even own a Deere tractor (yet)!
Well around here, their dealers have all been bought up by a regional conglomerate. I'm not impressed. They seem to have trouble getting simple parts. Last tractor I worked on they didn't even know of all the filters on the machine. They acted like they didn't remember building the model I was working on. Seems like they're picking up several other brands of zero turn mowers so they have something to sell at reasonable prices.

The big farm stuff may be built to last but the smaller stuff doesn't seem that great. Seems more difficult to to work on than necessary as well. Lots of plastic.

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #39  

I can't fault the 1025R; it was my first 'real' tractor, and they're well built and very comfortable to use. Now, I purchased mine used and later sold it for more than I paid, so I never was near the current MSRP. It's a really well built subcompact that is easy to use, and has great ergonomics; it's idiot friendly for sure.

Now, there is a reason I didn't replace my Deere with another Deere, and wallet aside it came down to their corporate policies, and dealer consolidation. Now it was admittedly made a little easier because the 3025E is terrible. The one machine Deere had in the category I want lacks so much, and doesn't even come close to the ergonomics of the R models; no suspension seat, impeded leg room, and a loader that can't be dropped. The machine exists to cater to those who won't buy another color, but can't be upsold to an R model. That doesn't make it good, it makes it the bare minimum.

If they built a 3025R maybe I'd have something more positive to say, but they don't. If I want a 3R I also need to carry the EPA in my pocket; no thank you.

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #40  
I can't fault the 1025R; it was my first 'real' tractor, and they're well built and very comfortable to use. Now, I purchased mine used and later sold it for more than I paid, so I never was near the current MSRP. It's a really well built subcompact that is easy to use, and has great ergonomics; it's idiot friendly for sure.

Now, there is a reason I didn't replace my Deere with another Deere, and wallet aside it came down to their corporate policies, and dealer consolidation. Now it was admittedly made a little easier because the 3025E is terrible. The one machine Deere had in the category I want lacks so much, and doesn't even come close to the ergonomics of the R models; no suspension seat, impeded leg room, and a loader that can't be dropped. The machine exists to cater to those who won't buy another color, but can't be upsold to an R model. That doesn't make it good, it makes it the bare minimum.

If they built a 3025R maybe I'd have something more positive to say, but they don't. If I want a 3R I also need to carry the EPA in my pocket; no thank you.
How much would a 3025R cost though. They want almost$40k for a 3025e with a backhoe. 😳