Portable Jump Starter

/ Portable Jump Starter #41  
The Mahindra 3525 I used to own had a warning label not to run it without a battery connected to the alternator circuit. I was never sure why they had that particular warning, but it makes me wonder what would go wrong if you tried to disconnect a totally dead battery and then run a tractor or UTV off a portable jump starter? Mine is charged by a USB charger like you charge a phone with. I'd think something bad would happen to the jump starter if it were charged by alternator power, and I'm guessing something bad could also happen to an alternator that didn't have a battery that could handle its output power?
I'm sure Project farm did it to prove a point, but he had to disconnect the alternator to make it safe. Otherwise, you're pumping 100amps into the jump pack.

/ Portable Jump Starter #42  
I keep a micro start xp3 in my car and each truck gets an audew (amazon) . The audew jumped over our superduty with a 460 with no problem. Haven't tried it on our superduty with the 6.4l yet, although it's supposed to be rated for it

/ Portable Jump Starter #43  
I have a Matco Versasapro2 that I purchased a few years ago and it works great. I work as a construction mechanic and will jump start diesels as long as the battery's have some life to them also Snap on sells a good jump starter.

/ Portable Jump Starter #45  
I have been very pleased with this one. It has jumped off anything from a lawnmower to a Ford 555 TLB. It has made jumper cables obsolete for me.

Jump Starter, NUSICAN Upgraded 4000A Car Jump Starter for Up to 10L Gas or 10L Diesel Engine, 12V Auto Utrai Car Battery Starter, Car Portable Power Bank with Smart Safety Cable, Type-c Amazon.com

Last edited:
   / Portable Jump Starter #46  
I have one of the compact ones in my pickup, I should check it to see if it's any good I suppose.

Some of these claim to be good down to some fairly low temps;
"works even in extreme climate -4~140℉. Even if the battery voltage is too low or dead, pressing the “BOOST” button will force the car to restart. "

I would take that with a grain of salt, I put a Lithium battery in my SxS. It works great in the summer time, but when it gets
cold it is almost worthless. I can turn the head lights on for a bit and that helps some, but often I have to try and start it a few times to warm the battery up so it will work. Once it's been running and working it will be fine till it gets cooled down cold again.

This is my go to starter pack we have one on the farm and I keep one at my place it works for starting tractors and is hany for running 12 Volt fuel pumps and air compressors. The round bale wagon requires electrical to operate some diverter valves for the self loading / unloading hydraulics a few of the tractors that are used with it don't have good electrical hookups for auxiliary power so we just use the jump box to power the system.
This is heavier and bulkier then the compact ones but it works well for use and we have even paralleled them a few times.
1700614169363.png

/ Portable Jump Starter #47  
I have one of the compact ones in my pickup, I should check it to see if it's any good I suppose.

Some of these claim to be good down to some fairly low temps;
"works even in extreme climate -4~140℉. Even if the battery voltage is too low or dead, pressing the “BOOST” button will force the car to restart. "

I would take that with a grain of salt, I put a Lithium battery in my SxS. It works great in the summer time, but when it gets
cold it is almost worthless. I can turn the head lights on for a bit and that helps some, but often I have to try and start it a few times to warm the battery up so it will work. Once it's been running and working it will be fine till it gets cooled down cold again.

This is my go to starter pack we have one on the farm and I keep one at my place it works for starting tractors and is hany for running 12 Volt fuel pumps and air compressors. The round bale wagon requires electrical to operate some diverter valves for the self loading / unloading hydraulics a few of the tractors that are used with it don't have good electrical hookups for auxiliary power so we just use the jump box to power the system.
This is heavier and bulkier then the compact ones but it works well for use and we have even paralleled them a few times.
View attachment 833218
The guys that have dozers and excavators seem to use this box a lot. It is 12/24 volt rated. 1700 amps. The other box I see that gets used a lot is the NAPA jump pak.

/ Portable Jump Starter #48  
Wife walked across the street to drive her Mom's car, which hadn't been driven in several weeks. As She walked out the door, I told her to call me if it wouldn't start. She did, so I grabbed the Nocco 1000 amp jumpbox and had her running in just a few seconds. Sent the jumpbox along in case She had more issues (She didn't). When She came home, She told me that whatever I paid for that thing, it was worth every penny!
It gets used as a flashlight and remote phone charger more than as a Jumpbox but it does all of them well.
David from jax

/ Portable Jump Starter #49  
I'm sure Project farm did it to prove a point, but he had to disconnect the alternator to make it safe. Otherwise, you're pumping 100amps into the jump pack.
How do you figure? I don’t think anything near 100A gets to the battery from the alternator, that would be a huge fire hazard and battery life destroyer. I’m certain there is a inline LED, just like any common battery tender/charger, to prevent back feeding.

ETA everything I’m seeing in the googlebox says maximum recommended amperage for lead acid 12V is 10 amps for longevity. Looks like some alternators can push 50-60 amps to charge the batteries but it also sounds like there is a regulator/controller.

Last edited:
   / Portable Jump Starter #50  
Not sure what size the OP was looking at but we wanted ours to fit in the trucks floor tool box and stay in there. Today its in there and has worked when needed. (y)